Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

For those about to freelance, here is a new book from O'Reilly:

- The Principles of Successful Freelancing

Topics covered include:

* How to pitch clients and decide what to charge
* Maximizing efficiency through time tracking, contact management and scheduling
* Grow profits through expense and cashflow management
* Fundamentals of project management, including reviews of commonly used software programs
* Winning new clients through networking, advertising, blogging, referrals and public speaking
* The principles of great customer service, including dealing with problem clients and managing scope creep

I haven't read it. Therefore, I can't answer any questions you may have. I just wanted to share it with you.

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:44
English to French
+ ...
Nice! Dec 9, 2008

Thanks, Eric, for letting us know. I recently criticized books for freelance translators in a thread here, saying that they don't teach you anything on marketing your services. Rather, they give common sense advice on organizing files, dealing with non-payment issues and the like, which, if someone has the slightest sense of business (and from the moment you are a freelance translator, you should have at least a minimal sense of business), is useless information.

The book you are announcing, Eric, seems upon first sight to fill that void. Plus, I love O'Reilly books. If there was a translation contest on ProZ with a bookshelf full of O'Reilly books for the prize, I just might participate.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Book on Freelancing from O'Reilly

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search