What are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients?
Thread poster: KEEKtranslator

KEEKtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:23
Korean to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2009

As a translator, what are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients? Does it usually tend to be more work-quality-dispute related or money related? I'd really like to know where other translators have clashes w/clients.

Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
agncies-direct clients-govt bodies Jan 12, 2009

KEEKtranslator wrote:

As a translator, what are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients? Does it usually tend to be more work-quality-dispute related or money related? I'd really like to know where other translators have clashes w/clients.

I don't work for many agencies, mostly for direct clients. I rarely have clashes with either:-) Some frustrations though.

One thing about agencies that does bug me a bit is online systems for downloading and uploading work and invoicing. Not the systems in themselves - just the fact that they usually also send emails anyway, so often it seems like a duplication of everybody's effort.

The agencies I do work for are usually not based in Spain, where the pay is often poor, also dealings can be a bit casual, for want of a better word (like me going the extra mile and not being thanked, or not getting feedback). Obviously those are my own personal experiences, but I find agencies in other countries a bit more understanding about deadlines and the deadline-quality trade-off, and they are also better and faster payers.

With direct clients (mostly universities / academics), I have no doubt about what the main problem is. Many fail to understand that getting published is a collaborative process, from queries to them right down to feedback to me, negotiating final changes and getting a look at the galleys before they are sent off.

Finally, getting paid is sometimes a problem with government bodies, not the problem of the contact person but one of bureacratic accounts departments. It's a bit of a disaster when they "lose" the invoice, as sometimes happens.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spanish agencies are generally unsatisfactory Jan 12, 2009

I entirely agree with Lia's comments about Spanish agencies. They are generally unsatisfactory in almost every respect. However, I find that most of my direct Spanish clients are very correct in their dealings - and the single most honourable and professional agency that I deal with is also Spanish.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search