Who to name as employer of a freelance Public Service Interpreter for a CRB Disclosure
Thread poster: Scott_C
Scott_C
Poland
Local time: 11:54
Polish to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2003

I am in the process of applying to join the UK National Register of Public Service Interpreters, having passed the DPSI. In order to be admitted to the register I must obtain a Criminal Records Bureau Enhanced Disclosure. The application form for that disclosure requires me to state what position I shall be employed in and by whom. Like almost all public service interpreters, I shall work freelance, and hence I'm stumped as to what to enter here. Has anyone else in my situation negotiated this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
English to Tamil
+ ...
How about self employed? Jul 15, 2003

Surely there should be a field to indicate self employed. Otherwise the fields would perhaps say regarding employers: Government/Public Sector/Private Sector/Other. In that case choose the option "other". If no fields are provided but only a big box, just type "self employed".


Scott_C wrote:

I am in the process of applying to join the UK National Register of Public Service Interpreters, having passed the DPSI. In order to be admitted to the register I must obtain a Criminal Records Bureau Enhanced Disclosure. The application form for that disclosure requires me to state what position I shall be employed in and by whom. Like almost all public service interpreters, I shall work freelance, and hence I'm stumped as to what to enter here. Has anyone else in my situation negotiated this problem?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Scott_C
Poland
Local time: 11:54
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion, but... Jul 15, 2003

[quote]Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Surely there should be a field to indicate self employed. Otherwise the fields would perhaps say regarding employers: Government/Public Sector/Private Sector/Other. In that case choose the option "other". If no fields are provided but only a big box, just type "self employed".


... in the UK the disclosure of one's criminal record can only be requested by a specific and identified employer. I cannot obtain the disclosure for myself, strange as that may seem. The problem is that the body requesting that disclosure, the National Register of Public Service Interpreters, will not itself be my employer. I shall contact them on July 16th for advice.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
English to Tamil
+ ...
I see your point but consider this Jul 16, 2003

I live in India, which was a colony of England. Hence procedures are more often than not similar. In our country when one applies for a passport, the police station nearest to his residence is consulted by the passport issuing authorities for the police verification. How about yourself asking the police station nearest to your residence for such a certificate?

[quote]Scott_C wrote:

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Surely there should be a field to indicate self employed. Otherwise the fields would perhaps say regarding employers: Government/Public Sector/Private Sector/Other. In that case choose the option "other". If no fields are provided but only a big box, just type "self employed".


... in the UK the disclosure of one's criminal record can only be requested by a specific and identified employer. I cannot obtain the disclosure for myself, strange as that may seem. The problem is that the body requesting that disclosure, the National Register of Public Service Interpreters, will not itself be my employer. I shall contact them on July 16th for advice.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Scott_C
Poland
Local time: 11:54
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The elegant simplicity of that was spoiled by the drive to privatise.co.uk Govt. agencies here Jul 17, 2003

It used to be just as simple as that, asking the police for a disclosure of convictions held on their database. Since the creation of the cumbersome Criminal Records Bureau, the process is as convoluted as it can be, but to join the Nat'l Register of Public Service Interpreters I must struggle through the CRB disclosure process. Thanks even so for giving the matter more thought.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who to name as employer of a freelance Public Service Interpreter for a CRB Disclosure

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search