Starting salary for finance translation in Germany?
Thread poster: dekrafft
dekrafft
dekrafft
German to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2003

Greetings all,

apologies if I'm not posting this in exactly the proper place - and that I'm not aiming at freelancing - but I just found this web site and have a rather burning question: does anyone have a decent idea of a suggested salary for a translator in the finance sector for a big (German) multinational? I'm American, studied German and Russian, and have a couple of months experience in technical translation with an American multinational - but that was a beginner's job, base
... See more
Greetings all,

apologies if I'm not posting this in exactly the proper place - and that I'm not aiming at freelancing - but I just found this web site and have a rather burning question: does anyone have a decent idea of a suggested salary for a translator in the finance sector for a big (German) multinational? I'm American, studied German and Russian, and have a couple of months experience in technical translation with an American multinational - but that was a beginner's job, base pay was $15/hour. Have a good amount of experience with German finance terminology. For a 40-hour-a-week position I'm thinking of suggesting 25,000 Euro per annum - which sounds low to me but then I certainly don't want to overdo it. Any tips? State a low number with a mention that it could be re-negotiated at a later date based on performance?

And, just out of curiosity - is there a distinct difference in rates between multinationals and "normal" companies, provided one does essentially the same quality of work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Too low I think Jul 21, 2003

I think that your amount per annum is too low. When I worked for a supermarket chain in the South Eastern part of the USA as a full-time in-house technical translator I was making USD 36500/year plus benefits. And that was three years ago. So, you can definitely go higher.

Good luck on your new job!
Lucinda

AmiHH
AmiHH  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:49
German to English
That's Low Jul 21, 2003

I'd say that is quite low. Freelancing as a financial translator you can make twice that much. Subtract expenses and you still come out ahead as a freelancer if you ask for that low of a figure.

I found a Kienbaum figure online for average salaries for translators. It said the range was 2556 (starting) to 2990 a month for general translators. That would be 30672 based on 12 months or 33228 on 13 (more likely)...or 35880/38870.

I'd ask for at least 30,000. But what do
... See more
I'd say that is quite low. Freelancing as a financial translator you can make twice that much. Subtract expenses and you still come out ahead as a freelancer if you ask for that low of a figure.

I found a Kienbaum figure online for average salaries for translators. It said the range was 2556 (starting) to 2990 a month for general translators. That would be 30672 based on 12 months or 33228 on 13 (more likely)...or 35880/38870.

I'd ask for at least 30,000. But what do I know? I don't know any translators employed at companies.

Good luck!

AmiHH
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 12:49
German to English
+ ...
A few years ago I heard..... Jul 21, 2003

A few years ago I heard that translators with the big banks in Frankfurt were getting around DM 5000 - 6000 per month (plus min. 24 days vacation, plus 13th month's salary, plus bonuses, plus use of fitness facilities, plus free travel to work, plus.....)

But that was a few years ago and now the banking bubble's burst. Dunno what they're offering now.

HTH

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting salary for finance translation in Germany?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »