Off topic: Introducing myself: I'm a native Chinese speaker and have been living in the USA for 6 years now.
Thread poster: Xiaohong Zhou

Xiaohong Zhou
Local time: 03:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 28, 2009

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here. I really like this community. Hopefully soon I will build up my profile and come here on a regular basis.

Right now I just want to briefly introduce myself and get acquainted with people. I'm a native Chinese speaker and have been living in the USA for 6 years now. As of my career, I first worked as a full time English teacher in China; currently I work for a small U.S. company while I do some teaching and tutoring of Chinese to American students.

Since 2001, I started doing translation and interpretation work sporadically and really enjoy it. I hope to explore more on this path, that's why I'm here. I'm glad that I found PROZ and found a wonderful group of professionals like you.

I look forward to getting to know you.

Sincerely,

Xiaohong Zhou

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:57
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Hello Xiaohong, Apr 29, 2009

Nice to have you in our great virtual community!
I hope you will enjoy the translation workplace.

See you aroundicon_smile.gif
Cheers from Georgia,
Maya

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Welcome, Xiaohong Apr 29, 2009

There is a lot of good stuff at Proz. Read the articles, search the forums, learn what is happening in your language pair. You being a teacher I trust you know your language well. Chinese translators are in high demand. Send your CV and sample translations to agencies; practice during idle times and have a colleague with as good a knowledge of your dialect as you or better edit your text and give you feedback.

Welcome and good luck!

Xiaohong Zhou
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the good suggestions, Luisa! Apr 29, 2009

Luisa Ramos wrote:

There is a lot of good stuff at Proz. Read the articles, search the forums, learn what is happening in your language pair. You being a teacher I trust you know your language well. Chinese translators are in high demand. Send your CV and sample translations to agencies; practice during idle times and have a colleague with as good a knowledge of your dialect as you or better edit your text and give you feedback.

Welcome and good luck!

My question is how do I send my CV and sample translations to agencies? Where can I find their contact information?

Thanks,

Xiaohong

Xiaohong Zhou
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 29, 2009

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

Nice to have you in our great virtual community!
I hope you will enjoy the translation workplace.

See you aroundicon_smile.gif
Cheers from Georgia,
Maya

Thank you for the good wish, Maya! I hope to see you around too.

Xiaohong

Georgia
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Hi Xiaohong, Apr 29, 2009

Xiaohong Zhou wrote:

My question is how do I send my CV and sample translations to agencies? Where can I find their contact information?

You can upload your CV/Resume from your Profile. Open your profile page, then open the ‘Settings’ tab, and select ‘Uploads’. A page will open where you can upload your CV/Resume.

About finding jobs at ProZ.com, please read: http://www.proz.com/faq/4354#4354

You can gind all FAQs here: http://www.proz.com/faq

Kind regards,
Maya

P.S. I see you have already uploaded your CV. So a potential client will be able to read it. Good luckicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2009-04-29 14:37 GMT]

Georgia
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Sample Translation Apr 29, 2009

Sorry, I forgot to reply about the sample translation.

You can add one or more sample translations from your profile page. Just click on the icon near 'Portfolio' and you will be directed to the proper page.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Regards,
Maya

Xiaohong Zhou
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 29, 2009

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to reply about the sample translation.

You can add one or more sample translations from your profile page. Just click on the icon near 'Portfolio' and you will be directed to the proper page.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Regards,
Maya

Hi Maya,

I have also uploaded 2 sample translations to my profile. I hope some agencies will contact me soon. I just got done with teaching this week, so I have lots of spare time.

Best wishes,

Xiaohong

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Welcome and Tips May 5, 2009

Welcome to this wonderful translators community!

Regarding agencies, I recommend you look up some names of agencies in the Directory, then send them your Curriculum Vitae. This is what I have done, also checked some companies in trade magazines that may need, in your case, Chinese translations.

One piece of advice, get over to a PowWow if you can, it will be great to meet other translators in the area and exchange experiences. Just click on the PowWow icon and see if there is a meeting in your area - or even organise one yourself! The usual format is a lunch or dinner, with each person paying his or her own way. Another possibility is one of the Conferences - there is one here in São Paulo, Brazil, if you happen to be travelling to this part of the world, and many others elsewhere.

As mentioned by other contributors, reading articles and participating in the forums (I am a regular forum participator myself) are also excellent ideas.

I agree that there is great demand for Chinese translation work, although here in Brazil it is Portuguese - Chinese.

I am an ex-teacher myself but am gradually phasing out teaching, giving preference to translations. This is because my home town is so massive (10 million people) that giving classes often means 2 hours of travel on crowded buses, in the crawling traffic - often I spent more time on buses than giving classes!

Welcome to the site and good luck!
Boas vindas ao site e boa sorte!

Regards from Brazil.
Saudações do Brasil.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introducing myself: I'm a native Chinese speaker and have been living in the USA for 6 years now.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search