Off topic: First Paid Interpreting Job - how much do I charge?
Thread poster: Rory Curran
Rory Curran
Rory Curran
Local time: 06:23
French to English
Aug 26, 2003

My first simutaneous french-english-french job is in the offing and I would like to know what the going rate is. I will be accompanying a manager to a one day conference in France. The conference is about European (INTERREG) funding for Social Exclusion/Regeneration projects, so the language is likely to be reasonably specialized. Thanks for your help.

[Edited at 2003-08-26 21:21]

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
Chinese to English
+ ...
Is this simultaneous?? Aug 26, 2003

If this is SI, wouldn't you have a partner working with you in the booth? Or is this murmured/whispered SI?

I would consult the people you trained with, or your instructors -- they should have a good idea of the market rates that are applicable. You might want to charge slightly less than an experienced person, but I would not cut the rate too much, for one thing because clients get used to rates VERY quickly, and second because other professionals in the interpreting field will tak
... See more
If this is SI, wouldn't you have a partner working with you in the booth? Or is this murmured/whispered SI?

I would consult the people you trained with, or your instructors -- they should have a good idea of the market rates that are applicable. You might want to charge slightly less than an experienced person, but I would not cut the rate too much, for one thing because clients get used to rates VERY quickly, and second because other professionals in the interpreting field will take a dim view of someone who cuts prices too much.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary. (Or kilometrage, if you're in Europe??)
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Will you be in Poitiers? Aug 27, 2003

Hello,

Not less that 400 Euros/day...

If you are going to do it alone and your client is thinking of chuchotage interpreting, you better get ready to heavy rock&roll.

Remember that you might be located in the middle of the audience or at the presiding table, and if you whisper long enough...your neighbors will not be to happy

Take care,

JL

PD If this is
... See more
Hello,

Not less that 400 Euros/day...

If you are going to do it alone and your client is thinking of chuchotage interpreting, you better get ready to heavy rock&roll.

Remember that you might be located in the middle of the audience or at the presiding table, and if you whisper long enough...your neighbors will not be to happy

Take care,

JL

PD If this is your first SI job...you might want to study a lot. INTERREG has abundant terminology (acronyms...) that goes back and forth at their meetings and you need to know it - seconds matter.
I dare to say you might be talking about a grant meeting...

[Edited at 2003-08-27 00:06]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Between your own qualifications, JL and Terry Aug 27, 2003

I'd say 400 basic is acceptable. (Speaking as the type of colleague Terry refers to). Allowances are a separate arrangement (I don't generally travel outside my city and charge slightly more, and one exception to Lisbon ran into 600, with travel and accommodation paid by the client).

[Edited at 2003-08-27 01:24]

Rory Curran
Rory Curran
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
This is SI - murmered/whispered Aug 27, 2003

Thanks for your useful advice. Just one thing, when you mentioned mileage, what do you mean? Travel expenses? How do you charge for this?

Regards
Rory
Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:

I would consult the people you trained with, or your instructors -- they should have a good idea of the market rates that are applicable. You might want to charge slightly less than an experienced person, but I would not cut the rate too much, for one thing because clients get used to rates VERY quickly, and second because other professionals in the interpreting field will take a dim view of someone who cuts prices too much.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary. (Or kilometrage, if you're in Europe??)

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
German to English
+ ...
It takes two... Aug 27, 2003

As Terry says, it's standard procedure to work in pairs in SI. You don't say when your assignment is - if you have time, explain to your client that you are new to the field and weren't aware of this (you certainly will know why at the end of the day otherwise!) and ask if they are willing to hire another interpreter (preferably experienced, as you will learn a lot about technique). 400 euros a day is OK as a fee (the standard agency rate in the UK is £250 a day, but you don't say whether you'r... See more
As Terry says, it's standard procedure to work in pairs in SI. You don't say when your assignment is - if you have time, explain to your client that you are new to the field and weren't aware of this (you certainly will know why at the end of the day otherwise!) and ask if they are willing to hire another interpreter (preferably experienced, as you will learn a lot about technique). 400 euros a day is OK as a fee (the standard agency rate in the UK is £250 a day, but you don't say whether you're working for an agency or a direct client, in which case you can charge more). Expenses means any out of pocket expenses you have such as taxis, air fare, meals and so on. It's quite usual for the client to pay these for you. Also, preparation is vital so ask the client to tell you in as much detail as possible what the meeting is going to involve, to send you copies of any presentations and so on.

Good luck!
Collapse

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
You will not drive to the venue, will you? Aug 30, 2003

Rory Curran wrote:

Thanks for your useful advice. Just one thing, when you mentioned mileage, what do you mean? Travel expenses? How do you charge for this?

Regards
Rory

Hola again,

I fully agree with my colleagues' comments.

The rate of 400 Euro is fine given the experience you say you have. A normal rate IMHO will be in the 'hood of +450 Euro.

Regarding "per kilometre" charge... I assume you will be flying with your client. As Parrot said, the client is responsible for your expenses, not you.

The rate includes your SI services; flights/metro/train + accomodation will be on the client. Regarding meals: some clients will provide a per diem or will ask you to cover for the expenses and include those in your final invoice. Since you are travelling outside your base, the client should be responsible for said expenses.

Take care,

jl

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
How did it go? Sep 18, 2003

Cheers,

jl

Rory Curran
Rory Curran
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
GREAT! Dec 12, 2003

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk wrote:

Cheers,

jl

It went fine, sorry I took a while to reply! The day was very relaxed, travelling with a group from South of England by coach. I had time to talk with the client and cleared up what exactly she wanted. We went to try and find a partner with whom her firm could work in applying for Interreg funding. We managed to contact such a partner and are now waiting for them to get the go-ahead from their superiors in France. There could be some more written translation as well as a few more days interpreting. I also charged a good rate based on quotes which the client had obtained - the quotes were in the region of £400-500gbp since it was French -English-French chuchotage. Of course I didn't charge this much because of my level of experience. The clients seemed happy and we are in negotiations on further work, which is good.
I'm still waiting to be paid though! Do you know of any standard terms of service I could use to protect myself if this happens again?

Best regards and thanks again to all of you for the advice.

Rory

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First Paid Interpreting Job - how much do I charge?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »