Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it usual to invoice a client after doing a translation job?
Thread poster: Catherine Norton
Catherine Norton
Catherine Norton
Local time: 20:37
French to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2003

I have just completed my first translation job and I wonder if someone can tell me if it is usual to invoice a client, giving the number of words, etc., when the job is finished?

Also, I had some problems with the translation. I have an EMac which is supposed to translate into Word when text is saved, so when my client asked me to send the document in Word, I did so and sent it off.

Unfortunately, the document was received in gibberish, which necessitated a frantic ru
... See more
I have just completed my first translation job and I wonder if someone can tell me if it is usual to invoice a client, giving the number of words, etc., when the job is finished?

Also, I had some problems with the translation. I have an EMac which is supposed to translate into Word when text is saved, so when my client asked me to send the document in Word, I did so and sent it off.

Unfortunately, the document was received in gibberish, which necessitated a frantic rush for them to get the document translated into Word at their end of the Internet.

It turns out that if you reinstall OS X into your EMac you lose the files that translate from Appleworks to Word. Since I had reinstalled OS X I did lose my files. Now I can't change my files and I'm seriously thinking about sending my EMac back to the manufacturer.
Anyway, I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me if the usual practice is to invoice your client yourself or whatever.

Thanks.

(P.S.) Please don't advise me to contact Apple Support. I spent two whole days on the phone with them and no one there was able to come up with a solution to this problem.

Any help you can give me in the advice department will be very appreciated.
Collapse

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why, it's a must! :-) Aug 27, 2003

No invoice, no pay. Almost all agencies require it.

By the way, congratulations on your first job!

truptee
truptee  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:07
French to English
+ ...
Bravo! Aug 27, 2003

I have just completed my first translation job and

Congratulations on the first job completion!

Akorbi
Akorbi
United States
Local time: 22:37
Member (2008)
Estimate/Contract/Invoice Aug 27, 2003

Dear Translator,

Before you start any translation job, you should specify the terms with your client by sending an official estimate, I would prefer a PDF file. Once the Client approves the estimate, you send a contract. ATA and other translation organizations have the standard contracts. Once you finish the translation, you send to your Client the translation job.
I usually do not send an invoice after because with the estimate, my clients start processing the payment while I
... See more
Dear Translator,

Before you start any translation job, you should specify the terms with your client by sending an official estimate, I would prefer a PDF file. Once the Client approves the estimate, you send a contract. ATA and other translation organizations have the standard contracts. Once you finish the translation, you send to your Client the translation job.
I usually do not send an invoice after because with the estimate, my clients start processing the payment while I am doing the translation. So far, I have been very lucky with all my Clients. They know they are dealing with a serious company.

Also, in case you have very informal request from someone, for instance, a research or something that is not very tangible, say up front what is your rate and estimate the time that you are going to spend.

Last thing, please use the contract. At CMTRANSLATIONS, we do not start any job without a contract, there is too much liability.

I hope that this helps you.

Best luck.

Claudia
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:37
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thread moved Aug 27, 2003

I've moved this thread from General Technical Support to the Getting Established forum.

Gianfranco

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 05:37
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
P.O. Aug 27, 2003

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

I've moved this thread from General Technical Support to the Getting Established forum.

Gianfranco
Do not forget to ask for the Purchase Order from the client...

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
In the given situation, Aug 27, 2003

I would write the invoice (indicating the number of words and the rate or the lump sum amount you agreed upon - hopefully you did, beforehand) and send it to the company. There are some clients who pay fixed amounts in the purchase order without an invoice, but normally, they require an invoice.

I would not give too many thoughts to the problem of the rush job converting the files into Word at your client: I would apologise for it, but if it was a translation agency, I am sure they
... See more
I would write the invoice (indicating the number of words and the rate or the lump sum amount you agreed upon - hopefully you did, beforehand) and send it to the company. There are some clients who pay fixed amounts in the purchase order without an invoice, but normally, they require an invoice.

I would not give too many thoughts to the problem of the rush job converting the files into Word at your client: I would apologise for it, but if it was a translation agency, I am sure they are very professional in doing these things.

Finally, I would take resolute steps about the software problem: it can kill your future as a translator if you don't have a reliable technical background.

Anyway, congratulations with your first job and I wish you many-many more new jobs, with much less problems!
Collapse

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Do not hesitate to send your invoice directly after or with your translation Aug 27, 2003

I usually send my invoice a little time after the translation. The quicker you send your invoice the sooner you will be paid because

1. your client still remembers what the invoice is for and is more likely to react straight away (no need to hurry if the invoice arrives several months after the job has been completed) and

2. the payment deadline usually depends on the date of receipt of the invoice (e.g.
... See more
I usually send my invoice a little time after the translation. The quicker you send your invoice the sooner you will be paid because

1. your client still remembers what the invoice is for and is more likely to react straight away (no need to hurry if the invoice arrives several months after the job has been completed) and

2. the payment deadline usually depends on the date of receipt of the invoice (e.g. 30 days net).

If you are worried that your client might not be satisfied with your work, just send them your invoice and your payment terms anyway. If they have complaints, they must mention them within a reasonable delai, and you would have to answer to those before expecting the payment delai to actually start to run, but if they do not have any complaints, payment is due according to the payment terms stated in your invoice.

Just make sure your payment terms are roughly the same as those the client would expect (i.e. tell them before you take on the job, when you expect to be paid and ask them if this will be OK for them). For instance, in Germany payment terms may be quite short (14 days) and when dealing with a client in the Netherlands, he expects you to wait at least 30 days.

I wish you all the best and a quick payment

Diane
Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
It would be rather unusual... Aug 27, 2003

NOT to invoice the client, but if you can afford...

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Which program are you using for word processing Aug 27, 2003

I'll try to focus on the "technical" part of your question. But I'd like to know a bit more before jumping into conclusions. Are you using MS Office v.X in your eMac (looks like you aren't actually), are you using Appleworks, are you using Text Edit?

And by the way, yes, congratulations and good luck in your translation career!!

Rb

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Get a PC with Windows ! Aug 27, 2003

Catherine Norton wrote:

It turns out that if you reinstall OS X into your EMac you lose the files that translate from Appleworks to Word. Since I had reinstalled OS X I did lose my files. Now I can't change my files and I'm seriously thinking about sending my EMac back to the manufacturer.

(P.S.) Please don't advise me to contact Apple Support. I spent two whole days on the phone with them and no one there was able to come up with a solution to this problem.

If you only have a mac you will face again this kind of problem.

Inge Geleyn
Inge Geleyn
English to Dutch
+ ...
Word for Mac Aug 27, 2003

Hello Catherine

It wasn't entirely clear whether or not you are using Word for Mac at the moment. If not, I would advise you to buy the software. Exchanging Word files between a pc and a Mac shouldn't be a problem then (always add the '.doc' file extension when you save a document and the person at the other end will be able to open the file in Word).
I'm not sure how much it costs nowadays, but if you intend to make a career out of translation, then you will recover the expen
... See more
Hello Catherine

It wasn't entirely clear whether or not you are using Word for Mac at the moment. If not, I would advise you to buy the software. Exchanging Word files between a pc and a Mac shouldn't be a problem then (always add the '.doc' file extension when you save a document and the person at the other end will be able to open the file in Word).
I'm not sure how much it costs nowadays, but if you intend to make a career out of translation, then you will recover the expenses in no time.

Best of luck!
Inge
Collapse

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Keep your eMac Aug 27, 2003

Catherine Norton wrote:

Unfortunately, the document was received in gibberish, which necessitated a frantic rush for them to get the document translated into Word at their end of the Internet.

You can keep your eMac. What you just need, if you want to work with a Mac as a translator, is the MS Office Suite. AppleWorks is not enough. The .doc-conversion fonctionality is not suitable to the needs of a professional translator.
With MS Office for Mac, you'll have no problem to open, edit and translate the ".doc"-files delivered by your customers.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71406/wo/vgvibBob4yT62G7EpY813ML7Hfw/2.3.0.5.10.3.48.13.0

http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/applications/office.html

There is also a usenet-group for translators who work on a Mac:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lantramug/

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Myths and reality Aug 27, 2003

lien wrote:
If you only have a mac you will face again this kind of problem.

It's typically a myth!

I've been working for over ten years with only macs and can assure you that there is no problem with ".doc" file exchanges.
Most of my customers event don't know I'm a Mac user and can't notice any difference in the handling of the files.

As you can read on the wordfast or on the lantramug Yahoo-Group, there are many translators using a Mac for translating and they have no problem to exchange files with the Windows-Community.
So why propagate this myth???

http://www.apple.com/myths/
http://www.apple.com/uk/smallbusiness/wessex/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lantramug/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Office v.X Aug 27, 2003

Well you didn't tell us but i agree with the previous postings.
DO get Office v.X for Mac. Now there are three different types to choose, get a look at www.apple.com/store
RECORD any problem with doc files your clients might experience (very little from my experience, though some minor ones could arise)
SOLVE these problems, and you'll be ready to use a true computer (meaning not a PC) that's
... See more
Well you didn't tell us but i agree with the previous postings.
DO get Office v.X for Mac. Now there are three different types to choose, get a look at www.apple.com/store
RECORD any problem with doc files your clients might experience (very little from my experience, though some minor ones could arise)
SOLVE these problems, and you'll be ready to use a true computer (meaning not a PC) that's compatible with what the rest of the world uses. You won't have any problem anymore (even with viruses, blasters and sobigs) unless you decide to use trados or something of the like.

Like they said, Appleworks is not enough. I actually almost don't use it anymore. And office v.X for mac is very solid, you'll stick to it in the end.

Good luck.

Rb
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it usual to invoice a client after doing a translation job?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »