Legal Translation or Audiovisual Translation? In urgent need of replies
Thread poster: emily83
emily83
emily83
Local time: 02:52
Jun 19, 2009

Good afternoon everyone,
I was hoping you could give me some advice regarding career options in the vast and highly competitive world of translating.
First let me tell you a bit about myself.
I graduated with a degree in Foreign Languages and Cultures in 2006 in Rome, the course focused mainly on literature, language and general knowledge studies.
Since then, I have given Business English and French Studies in a private institute and done the occasional translation from
... See more
Good afternoon everyone,
I was hoping you could give me some advice regarding career options in the vast and highly competitive world of translating.
First let me tell you a bit about myself.
I graduated with a degree in Foreign Languages and Cultures in 2006 in Rome, the course focused mainly on literature, language and general knowledge studies.
Since then, I have given Business English and French Studies in a private institute and done the occasional translation from Italian to English and vice-versa as well as English conversation lessons (I am fully bilingual).
However, I'm not getting any younger and I have come to realize after some careful consideration, that translation is the field for me: I would like to concentrate on my native languages (despite having a fairly good command of French and Spanish). The translation fields I'm most interested in are Legal Translation and Audiovisual Translation.
I have done some research and seen that the universities of Surrey and Roehampton offfer MA courses in AVT.The University of London offers a course in Legal Translation, but it's open specifically to law graduates and legal secretaries.
I am going to obtain a Tefl certificate to teach English, so I can start earning something in the meantime.
Are there any short courses in Legal or Avt translation for the year 2009/2010 in Italy where I can get a taste of these two fields?
Based on your experience what translation branch would you recommend? I don't mean to sound money minded but what sector is, shall we say, more marketable?
Also if there are any translators that have attended Roehampton Uni, what were your experiences like?
I apologize for my very long post.
Thanks so much,

[Edited at 2009-06-19 17:52 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 12:52
Chinese to English
Try this database ... maybe they have student feedback ... Jun 20, 2009

Hello emily

1 You could try this database ... maybe they have student feedback on the courses you are asking about ... http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/130469-manchester_or_imperial.html#1082779
2 Also perhaps you could try visiting the 'Italian' and 'Professional Development' Forums with your enquiry.

Lesley

emily83
emily83
Local time: 02:52
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Jun 20, 2009

Thanks Lesley, I'll take a look

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal Translation or Audiovisual Translation? In urgent need of replies

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »