Does anyone know of a sample written test to gauge how good a translator/linguistic is?
Thread poster: lanzebravo

lanzebravo
Local time: 18:19
Jun 22, 2009

hi,

not sure if this is the correct forum for this but does anyone know a sample written test to gauge how good a translator/linguistic is?

thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-22 13:46 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:19
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
ATA Test Jun 22, 2009

The American Translators Association has a practice test for the certification exam. It is graded and returned to the candidate. I believe it is available even if the requestor is not registered for an exam.

Here is the link:
http://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutpractice_test.php

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
German to English
+ ...
Planning to outsource? Jun 22, 2009

If you are planning to outsource translation work, it's useful to provide samples/translation tests that cover the subject matter of the texts you are likely to outsource. I consider myself a decent translator, but I stick with business and financial texts - if you gave me a medical or very technical text as a sample to translate, I would probably fail miserably. Also keep in mind that many translators expect to be paid for translation tests.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know of a sample written test to gauge how good a translator/linguistic is?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search