Thread poster: Lucy Williams

Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:19
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Jul 2, 2009

Hi,

How important is it to have an e mail address that's not a free e mail service like yahoo or hotmail? I've read a lot about being careful of agencies using free e mail services, but is it detrimental as a freelancer to use yahoo for example?

Thanks

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can't live without my free email Jul 2, 2009

This is an excellent question. I use a free email service and I do not like the fact that it may seem cheap and disposable.

However, gmail is so damn good that I can't imagine living without it.

I would jump at the opportunity of paying for my email service - providing everybody was immediately made aware that I had, in fact, paid for it.

[Edited at 2009-07-02 09:39 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Clients versus translators Jul 2, 2009

Lucy Williams wrote:
How important is it to have an e mail address that's not a free e mail service like yahoo or hotmail? I've read a lot about being careful of agencies using free e mail services, but is it detrimental as a freelancer to use yahoo for example?

If a client doesn't have a web site and he's using a free mail account, then I treat him like a direct client. If he does have a web site but he's using a free mail account, I CC him on the mail account listed on his web site to see if it comes back to me. Sometimes agency clients will do a bit of work from home, and then use their personal mail accounts, but when they get back to the office they are perfectly capable of continuing the discussion on their domain-based account.

If you get a mail from a free account but the person claims to be from XYZ company, CC the head of the company in your reply. Just to be sure. Or if the person claims to be person X from company Y, CC person X's domain-based account in your reply.

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
What about @telefonica.net? Jul 2, 2009

Thanks for your perspective John. I'm currently using yahoo.es and am finding it absolutely fine but I was wondering whether I should make use of the e mail address I have with telefonica as part of my broadband package. I was wondering whether this would be more professional.
I'm interested to hear you like g mail as I've heard it can be problematic in spam terms.

Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't care too much... Jul 2, 2009

As an outsourcer, I don't care too much about the extension. Gmail and hotmail are fine with me. But please do pick something professional and recognisable to put in front of it. Some random examples that don't give me a good impression:

flirtyyyya@...com

dazzle1989@...

tinkywinkylover@...

So, I'd say no problems with a free mail service, but go for something that has either your name, or the name you chose for your business in it.

Hope this helps!

Susan

[edited for typo]

[Edited at 2009-07-02 09:47 GMT]

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:19
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Could not live without my free email address 2 Jul 2, 2009

It is different for agencies, but I have never felt that I have lost anything by having my yahoo email. Around 10 years ago I moved around quite often and I needed an email address I could access in any country. The fact that it was free was not that important although it was a bonus. Now I have another email linked to my domain but I still use the yahoo one.

Ines

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful Jul 2, 2009

That's great to hear from an outsourcer, thanks Susan. I have done as you said and used my name/company name for my yahoo account. I might use the telefonica one as a backup e mail then.

Thanks

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Domains Jul 2, 2009

The next thing then is to get my head around domains and how that works and whether I should follow that path too!

thanks

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Spam Jul 2, 2009

Lucy Williams wrote:

Thanks for your perspective John. I'm currently using yahoo.es and am finding it absolutely fine but I was wondering whether I should make use of the e mail address I have with telefonica as part of my broadband package. I was wondering whether this would be more professional.
I'm interested to hear you like g mail as I've heard it can be problematic in spam terms.

My first email address was Yahoo - but I closed it when the spam started flooding in. I find that the gmail filters are extraordinarily good at eliminating spam, and I currently receive about one spam message a month.

I use my name as my address in order to provide as much dignity as possible to a free account.

I can't give you any advice about Telefonica's service - although on a personal note - I suffer an annoying nervous tick that always begins to madly vibrate when I hear the word 'Telefonica'.

AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
Don't worry about the free e-mail address Jul 2, 2009

I don't think is would make sense to enter a contract for an email account when in a few weeks/months you'll discover that the same or better service is included in the costs of a domain. So instead of wasting time looking for a email provider use the time to look for a domain that includes a certain number of e-mail addresses. Then you can set up different accounts for different purposes (business mails, private mails, mailing lists and so on). This also controls the amount of spam you'll receive at a particular address. I have one "public" address which i use on my website and business cards where I tolerate the spam that comes with the visibility of the address. My private address I give to friends only and I have not received any spam addressed to it yet.

[Edited at 2009-07-02 10:50 GMT]

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Only if you do not intend to change broadband provider Jul 2, 2009

Lucy Williams wrote:

The problem with email addresses that come with your broadband package is that you loose them if you change your broadband provider. And then you have to start sending out emails informing of your email change which I would find very complicated - what if you forget somebody. Better use it as backup. The problem I found with my domain email is that I get incredible amount of spam on that, maybe because I put it down in my website. So it has basically been rendered useless.

Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Another fan of gmail Jul 2, 2009

I'm a very early adopter of gmail and wouldn't be without it. The spam filters are excellent - I can see that I already have 9 new spam messages today in the spam folder but haven't looked at them yet. I check it quickly about once or twice a day and empty the folder. A genuine message ends up in there once in a blue moon, but this is why I quickly check it every day.

I'm able to arrange all messages into folders I've created for each of my clients so if I want to see all my previous messages from someone who's contacted me it's just one click and keep my inbox tidy by archiving messages once I've finished and invoiced a job. I'm currently using 20% of the space I'm allowed without paying, after nearly four years of use so I'm not close to having to think about paying for more storage yet.

The main bonus though is that I trust the service. True enough, there have been a few days in the past year where there were problems, but this is where your back-up comes in.

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
well Jul 2, 2009

I would jump at the opportunity of paying for my email service - providing everybody was immediately made aware that I had, in fact, paid for it.

Well how about for example "john@rawlins-translations.com"?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Both Google and Yahoo offer paid versions Jul 2, 2009

of their email service, you can use them with you own domain. This way you have the best of both words - well known and available through a website customer interface and email in your own domain.

I treat it like a good investment.

BR
S

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
Depends. Jul 2, 2009

I have my '@yahoo.co.uk' e-mail address which I have "trained" really well and all the junk and spam goes straight to my junk folder.
I have also registered a domain with mailbox which is absolutely fantastic. I've had no junk or spam delivered in two years. I use it strictly for business - my regular clients, or very well screaned prospective clients.
Another thing with a domain and mailbox for me is a "feel-good" factor. It makes me feel good to have "translations@slov-trans.com" e-mail address.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How important is your e mail address?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search