https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/141371-becoming_a_freelance_translator_any_tips.html

Becoming a Freelance Translator... any tips?
Thread poster: lu82
lu82
lu82
Local time: 13:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 30, 2009

Hi people!
I am trying to figure out how I can stard to be a Freelance Translator. I don't have any experience in Translations as a job, I studied it at the University and I have a master in Techincal Translation, which I am not using (I am not working as a translator, even if I use languages on a daily basis). I think it's a pity and I would like to use my language skills, but I feel I should start from zero...and I don't know very well how... I guess there are many people who did this..
... See more
Hi people!
I am trying to figure out how I can stard to be a Freelance Translator. I don't have any experience in Translations as a job, I studied it at the University and I have a master in Techincal Translation, which I am not using (I am not working as a translator, even if I use languages on a daily basis). I think it's a pity and I would like to use my language skills, but I feel I should start from zero...and I don't know very well how... I guess there are many people who did this... so I am asking a piece of adivice!

Any help wil be much appreciated!

Have a lovely day!

Luisa
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
Italian to English
First step Jul 30, 2009

Hi Luisa

Most importantly, you have found the right site to get you started.
However, as you can imagine many people - maybe hundreds - have asked the same sort of question here.
Your first step is to spend some time reading previous threads in this "Getting Established" section. Then you will be in a much better position to ask pertinent questions and get some really specific advice from other users.
Welcome to the profession and good luck.

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Three quick thoughts ... Jul 30, 2009

- Beside the fora, I found the quick polls (and their threads) interesting as well when I started out.
- Rethink your offer to translate into your working language.
- Rethink your rates.

Good luck & have fun!

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Quick thought 3 Jul 30, 2009

To amend my original post, there are no universal rates. It is a question of supply and demand in your particular market.
For Italy, a very good guide can be found here: http://www.tariffometro.it/

[Edited at 2009-07-31 11:23 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree Jul 30, 2009

I agree with Sonja:

1) Spend several weeks reading the information here and elsewhere on the Internet.
2) Do not translate into English.
3) At least double your rates (for 6 euros a word, you would be better off cleaning houses).

[Edited at 2009-07-31 13:39 GMT]

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, Jul 31, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
3) At least double your rates.

I didn't want to get too direct but had the same thought.

Bettina Birle
Bettina Birle  Identity Verified
English to German
In the same position! Aug 8, 2009

Hi Luisa,

I am in the same position as you. Although I have previous experience I am now wanting to make this my full time work.

The impression I generally get is that it will take time. So newbies like us will have to be patient. But I have a few tips I have worked out so far and which you may find useful:

1. Only work with languages that you feel 100% comfortable with. I do speak other languages but I need to think about this like a business- is it
... See more
Hi Luisa,

I am in the same position as you. Although I have previous experience I am now wanting to make this my full time work.

The impression I generally get is that it will take time. So newbies like us will have to be patient. But I have a few tips I have worked out so far and which you may find useful:

1. Only work with languages that you feel 100% comfortable with. I do speak other languages but I need to think about this like a business- is it worth my time and effort to translate a language where I have to look up every other word?- Not really...

2. Check with your local council or employment centre. There may be help (financial or just advice) available for people starting up their own business. Even or especially in this economic climate governments are still keen to help people starting up

3. Make sure you think about taxes! Be sure to work out early on which government bodies you need to talk to. I didn't and it ends up in a lot of paperwork!

4. Talk to people, tell them what you are doing/planning to do. You may be surprised how quickly word travels and some aunt or uncle may work for someone that just needs their web page translated!

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know. Good Luck!
Collapse

lu82
lu82
Local time: 13:56
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 13, 2009

Thanks everybody for your help! I'll work on it!!!

Have nice day!

Luisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Becoming a Freelance Translator... any tips?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »