where to sit the DipTrans exam
Thread poster: Mike Alizade

Mike Alizade
Local time: 17:27
German to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2009

Hi

I'm about to sign up to sit the DipTrans examination for German to English in London but am wondering where the best place to sit it is - if there is one. I've heard the European college for Business and Management is quite good, but I would appreciate any further thoughts

thanks

Mike

Richardson Lisa  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:27
Member (2009)
French to English
Diptrans Aug 19, 2009

Hi Mike
I live in France, but am taking the exam next Jan at City University in London. This is for 2 reasons, 1 - I've been doing the preparation for the exam with them and 2 - it was more expensive to sit the exam in Paris. So I thought I might as well do it in London and make a holiday of it! You do know that not all centres have IT facilities? I've also decided to do the handwritten version(all that is available at city anyway)This is because I really don't trust computers, I'm completely paranoid that I'll get one that doesn't work!! and also it probably means a querty keyboard whereas I'm used to azerty, so pen andd paper(and Tippex) it is for meicon_smile.gif I do hope it all goes well for you whatever you decide, and get in touch if you need any more info, but there is quite a lot on the IOl site including some preparatory seminars. Hope that helps
Best wishes
Lisa

Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
My experience Aug 20, 2009

Like phillisa, it would have been more expensive for me to write in Lisbon than in London, so I combined the exam with watching Mamma Mia (the show) and a bit of sightseeingicon_smile.gif

I wrote at the IoLET open centre, which is announced -- rather late -- each year at a different venue. It is usually somewhere in Central London, at least it was in my case, just behind St. Paul's Cathedral.

The invigilators were all very pleasant and the venue itself was fine. No IT facilities.

City University is a little bit out of the way if you don't know London well, but I've been there before for courses and the staff and facilities are excellent. It's just that I don't like the Tube and to get a taxi out there is a bit expensive.

Best of luck
Debs

Mike Alizade
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 20, 2009

Many thanks for your help

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
My experience Aug 20, 2009

I found it was cheaper to sit the exam in Cardiff than in London (where I was living at the time) and I had prepared the exam with Cardiff University, so I had a mini-holiday in Wales. The centre fees do vary quite a lot, and the difference between the London centre fees (the European College that you mention, and the London Open Centre) and the Cardiff fees covered my train fare and a night in a cheap hotel.

Another factor in my choice was that I definitely wanted a centre with IT facilities. I last handwrote an exam for my MA some years ago, and wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry - plus I'm confident that I can get a computer to do what I want it to do, on the whole. You'll have your own preferences, I'm sure, but do bear in mind that some centres have no IT facilities.

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
I agree with Angela about IT facilities Aug 20, 2009

I would just like to agree with what Angela said about preferring a centre with IT facilities.

I would advise any candidate to think very carefully before choosing to sit these exams where no IT facilities are available. In my opinion, you should only attempt to enter the exams without using a computer if you are very confident about being able to produce handwritten translations to the required standard and at the required speed.

If you are used to producing your translation work on computers, my advice would be to make sure that you're sitting in front of a computer on the big day, regardless of which centre you choose. Time is of the essence in these exams, and if you even suspect that writing your translations out by hand will slow you down, I would strongly advise you to find another solution.

I went to Cardiff too for French to English, and I found that the facilities and staff were absolutely excellent.

I wish all Dip Trans candidates the best of luck.

Mike Alizade
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 20, 2009

thanks very much for all your replies. I'm sitting it at The Institute in Finchley as its got IT facilities as I can type much faster than I can writeicon_smile.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Madrid (Spain), two locations, one with IT facilities Aug 20, 2009

Despite the extra fees (which amount almost as much as the DipTrans exam fees) I have chosen the British Council in Madrid. Another option, doing the exam in Sampere, would have meant to do the exam on paper, and honestly I am not really sure I would have enough time (or energy) to translate some 1200 words of three potentially difficult translations on paper. The British Council will let me use a valid computer for this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

where to sit the DipTrans exam

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search