Translation in the US through
Thread poster: Thierry Maupin

Thierry Maupin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
English to French
+ ...
Sep 5, 2009

Hi all,

I intend to move to the US as soon as possible and would like to know what's needed regarding work regulations.

Proz being an Internet tool, therefore crossing the borders, do we still need to get a working visa to process a job eith Proz ?

Besides, how do the things work regarding taxes, generally speaking because I know this question can apply to working from Europe too ?

Hope you all the best for any translation you work on.

Thierry aka kiwifrog

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-05 14:07 GMT]


Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:57
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 5, 2009

Hi Thierry,

It says you already live in the USA lol. Anyway, I moved here about 2 yrs ago, got married and started working. You need a Green card/Working permit to be able to stay in the USA, independently of working online or not.

As for tax, if you are a freelancer, you will have to pay the self-employment tax 4 times a year + the social security. Re the later, you will have to pay both your own part and the part an employer would normally deduct from your paycheck. Tax rates vary from state to state. Federal taxes and SS tax I believe are all equal.

I wish you good luck over here =)



Thierry Maupin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
English to French
+ ...
Thanks for advises Sep 5, 2009

Hi Lise,

Thanks for all this I'll definitely try to make the most of it



Woodstock  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Before you do anything, Sep 5, 2009

check the requirements for immigration and a work permit with the Embassy or Consulate nearest you. Are you living in the US now or just visiting? You will have to establish a business in the state your are residing in and pay all relevant taxes, assuming you get the green card.

A second point: Since you seem to be pretty new to translation (if your profile is recent), professional translators nowadays generally stick to translating into their native language, and not into a non-native language, unless you are truly bi-lingual. What counts is the language your education was in, that makes all the difference.

There's a lot of really good information in the forums and other parts of the ProZ website. I learned a great deal about what it means to be a professional translator from ProZ, so I would advise you to learn as much as possible to avoid painful mistakes.

Good luck.


Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
US Immigration Lawyer Sep 6, 2009

Just "moving to the US as soon as possible" is not exactly all that easy. Of course many millons have done it, merely to join the swelling ranks of "undocumented aliens" including some who may have valid visas not authorizing employment and who violate them by being employed.

My advice would be to consult a qualified specialist in US immigration law before making any plans.


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation in the US through

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search