https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/145862-as_a_newbie_herei_need_your_suggestion.html

As a newbie here,I need your suggestion
Thread poster: sungy
sungy
sungy  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:22
English to Chinese
Sep 20, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I have registered to be a user of Proz.com for about one month and have learned some tips from the colleges.Today I read a thread posted by Petra_44.I got some messages from this thread.Many thanks to Petra-44 and other colleges.I don't know if it is properly posting my comment in Petra_44's thread since I can not help her/him.So, I start a new one here.

I also would like to know some websites like what s/he have said.I know that there are not too many dema
... See more
Hi Everyone,

I have registered to be a user of Proz.com for about one month and have learned some tips from the colleges.Today I read a thread posted by Petra_44.I got some messages from this thread.Many thanks to Petra-44 and other colleges.I don't know if it is properly posting my comment in Petra_44's thread since I can not help her/him.So, I start a new one here.

I also would like to know some websites like what s/he have said.I know that there are not too many demandings in my language pair.But I am really eager to work immediately.

I also have my own problem.
I am in a situation that I even don't think I am able to get a job. The competition among my language pair is intense and I am just a newbie in translation industry.I am not a graduated student from language institute.I only have gotten some experiences by helping the workshops,which I have worked for,to tranlate some management documents and some instrument's user guide.But I think I am good at translation.I really want to start as a translator.Where can I start?

Any of your suggestion will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:22
French to German
+ ...
Overcrowded language pairs Sep 21, 2009

Hi sungy,
a ZH>EN translator with a Ph.D. I know gave up translating and returned to teaching because the price-based competition was too fierce and because there was always someone to underbid them. And the competition which takes place through such automatic or semi-automatic sites can be even worse.
So this is imho not the place to start and I would offer only one combination.

[Edited at 2009-09-21 12:15 GMT]

sungy
sungy  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your post Sep 21, 2009

Hi Laurent Krauland,

Thank you for your post and advice.
But I am really confused by "ZH>EN".Which language pair does "ZH>EN" represent?
You want to tell me that I should only provide service in "English to Chinese" pair,am I right?If not,I am so sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thank you
Sungy

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:22
French to German
+ ...
ISO codes for languages Sep 21, 2009

sungy wrote:

Hi Laurent Krauland,

You want to tell me that I should only provide service in "English to Chinese" pair,am I right?If not,I am so sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thank you
Sungy

These are ISO codes for languages, ZH means Chinese and EN means English. Please see (among others) Wikipedia for the full list of ISO codes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes

And yes, my suggestion was that you should offer only translations from English to Chinese, which would allow you to make a competitive difference.

Hope that helps.

sungy
sungy  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Laurent Krauland Sep 22, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

sungy wrote:

Hi Laurent Krauland,

Thank you
Sungy

These are ISO codes for languages, ZH means Chinese and EN means English. Please see (among others) Wikipedia for the full list of ISO codes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes

And yes, my suggestion was that you should offer only translations from English to Chinese, which would allow you to make a competitive difference.

Hope that helps.

Yes,It's very helpful.These codes are new to me.Thank you

[Edited at 2009-09-22 10:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

As a newbie here,I need your suggestion

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »