Translating for free and publishing it online
Thread poster: Coreano
Coreano
Coreano
United States
Korean to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2009

I would like to translate some old books out of copyright. If I put it online for free, I think somebody could edit it a little and then publish it, making them have the copyrights for it while I would have done 90% of the work. Has anything like this happened before in the translator's world?

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 02:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Wishing you luck Oct 14, 2009

Coreano wrote:

I would like to translate some old books out of copyright. If I put it online for free, I think somebody could edit it a little and then publish it, making them have the copyrights for it while I would have done 90% of the work. Has anything like this happened before in the translator's world?

I have thought about it myself, but never had it realized for the luck of time. I think, however, that it doesn't necessarily have to be for free. I think it is possible to find some old books that will interest enough readers for you to be able to sell them. Maybe old children's stories? Just a thought...

If you actually do it, please let me know how it went for you.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Translating stuff that's out of copyright Oct 14, 2009

Coreano wrote:
I would like to translate some old books out of copyright. If I put it online for free, I think somebody could edit it a little and then publish it, making them have the copyrights for it while I would have done 90% of the work.

My logic tells me that if you translate something that's out of copyright, you are no longer a translator but an author, as far as copyright permissions go. But even if your translation is regarded by your country's laws as a translation, you would still own the copyright on the translation, and no-one can republish it (even if edited) without your permission. Whether you can prevent someone, is a different matter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating for free and publishing it online

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »