City University or University of Wesminster course?
Thread poster: Chloe Robinson
Chloe Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
English to French
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

Hi there,

I want to start a course to prepare the exam for the IoLET Diploma of Translation (http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp) in London, in January (English to French).

I saw that both City University and the University of Wesminster offer such formation (the first one is a distance course). As far as I know, they're both very recognised and valued school and I cannot make a decision between the two...

Can anyone recommend one or the other? Would it be worth doing both at the same time?

In advance, thank you so much for your help / advices / recommendations. It is much appreciated.

Have a good day,

Chloé

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-05 15:02 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:41
Member (2009)
English to French
City University experience Nov 5, 2009

Hi Bambolina,

I did the three modules of City University last year before passing the DipTrans last January (English into French). I was quite happy with it, but it really depends on your tutor.
Basically, you do 8 translations per module, then get some feedback with your tutor and get one or two tutorials with him / her. It was quite useful to me, especially to gain more confidence, but I know some people were disappointed by their tutor. Also, they don't offer any course in "theory of tranlsation", they only give you a bibliography, then you have to do your own reading & research. So it really depends on what you expect. However, I'm not sure I would have passed without this preparation...
I hope this help. Good luck !

Anne.

Richardson Lisa  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:41
French to English
city Nov 5, 2009

Hi
I'm coming to the end of my preparation course for the IOL exam with City University. I live in France so or me the key point was to find a long distance course. Remember it is only a preparation - which means you do the translations, send them in ,and they get marked. To be honest, the first two terms, I couldn't really see how this was going to help me improve, but I have to say that half way through the last term and my translations(done in exam conditions) are looking good. Only a couple of points on each one and these are all terminology (no grammar, encoding/decoding etc. So, I'm really pleased, just hope I can do as well in the exam.
I can't speak for the Westminster course - I think they're all relatively expensive given there is no taught content, but then given the exam fee the whole venture is rather an expensive one!
hope this helps
Lisa

Chloe Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies Nov 6, 2009

Anne & Lisa,

Thank you very much for your precious replies!

I have to say that I haven’t quite decided yet. According to you both City University sounds pretty good, but I still like the idea of a face-to-face course, but this is only up to me…

Has anyone tried the University of Westminster?

Anne – Well done on the exam!
Lisa – Good luck for January!

Thank you,
Chloé

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

City University or University of Wesminster course?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search