Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Does being a ProZ.com member really help in getting new jobs?
Thread poster: Lucas Rayel

Lucas Rayel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 18, 2009

Hello all,

I'm about to sign up Proz membership but I'd like to know if it really helps on getting new jobs? I say it cause I'm a translator for 4 years and I think I could get much more work than I get nowadays, and Proz is one of the ways I've found...

So... Have you experienced a higher demand of projects after becoming a Proz member?

Thank you in advance,

Lucas Rayel

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-18 14:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Karol Kacprzak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:46
English to Polish
+ ...
Definitely yes Nov 18, 2009

Honestly, the membership paid off in the first month in my case.

[Edited at 2009-11-18 09:57 GMT]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Being a ProZ member makes you more visible Nov 18, 2009

Lucas,

Most of the jobs are awarded directly, bypassing the bidding system. What is your current position in the directory of EN-PT translators specialized in Mechanics? Here is a shortened link: http://bit.ly/4eFakw

Being a member and answering just 7 KudoZ questions in this field will put you on page 1.

[Edited at 2009-11-18 10:23 GMT]

Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Not a miracle solution Nov 18, 2009

Hi Lucas,

Work will not miraculously find its way to your inbox just because you become a Proz member.
Proz membership will improve your ranking in the translator directory, but other factors come into play.
I used to get contacted a lot when I participated actively in Kudoz: winning points improves your ranking.
This year I have not been active on the site and as a result I have noticed that potential clients are not contacting me as much through Proz. So there's no secret there: to benefit fully from everything this site has to offer, one must participate actively and this means investing time and energy.

One thing is for sure, I have never regretted my membership:
The forums contain a wealth of extremely useful information and colleagues are always willing to help with advice.
The Blue Board has saved me from making bad business decisions on at least two occasions - saving me hundreds if not thousands of euros and countless hours of lost time.
Organising powwows has allowed me to meet some incredible people and build a strong network.

Natasha

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Membership is just the first step Nov 18, 2009

Natasha Dupuy wrote:

Work will not miraculously find its way to your inbox just because you become a Proz member.
Proz membership will improve your ranking in the translator directory, but other factors come into play.

Exactly. Check the following video:
http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/74/view-sessions/1

Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
just answering Kudoz questions isn`t enugh Nov 18, 2009

Being a member and answering just 7 KudoZ questions in this field will put you on page 1.
But just answering questions isn`t enough? You have to get some points for your answers. That has been quite a challenge for me so far.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Earn KudoZ points Nov 18, 2009

Eva Stoppa wrote:

But just answering questions isn`t enough? You have to get some points for your answers.

Sorry, I should have said "earn at least 25 KudoZ points". Yes, it will take some time, but 25 is not that much.

Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
A combination of the above given answers Nov 18, 2009

Hi, Lucas,
become a paying member (the membership fee will definitely pay off), answer KudoZ questions, get some WWA and don't forget to fill out your profile completely - I had a look at it and it seems rather "skinny".
I would recommend you reading this article:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/447/1/Seven-easy-(and-free)-ways-to-boost-your-profile-traffic
Plus - get trained (CAT, DTP), work hard and be "accessible" (clients appreciate quick response times).
And take your time - you can't achieve everything overnight. Take one step at a time.
Good luck (sometimes it's a question of luck - being in the right place at the right time),
Ivana.

Lucas Rayel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Convinced me! Nov 18, 2009

Thank you all guys for the replies!

I am convinced it will be good for business I have already taken the PRO certified exam in EN>PT(BR)

Let's wait! Thanks once again!

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:46
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Not a bad move Nov 18, 2009

I see you're a member now. Welcome. Now get down to the work of polishing your profile, and I'm sure you'll find your investment will pay off. When I first became a member 6 or 7 years ago I found the BlueBoard was useful for targeted research on possible agency clients. When checking payment practices, however, use other sources as well to get a more complete picture.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good advice from Kevin, IMO Nov 18, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Now get down to the work of polishing your profile, and I'm sure you'll find your investment will pay off.

That's one thing to do. Another is to improve your position in the translators' directory.

When I first became a member 6 or 7 years ago I found the BlueBoard was useful for targeted research on possible agency clients. When checking payment practices, however, use other sources as well to get a more complete picture.

Of course, there are those on Proz who are perfectly happy with 0.03 € per source word and a 60-day wait for their payment (even 90-days!) - they will give a "5" rating to agencies that I and many others wouldn't touch. Make sure you make your position quite clear - know the worth of your work and insist on the tariffs and deadlines necessary to provide a good translation AND a decent living.

Good luck
Sheila

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
indirectly Nov 18, 2009

First, where do you think all the rest professionals non-ProZ members work?
Second, did they get a job because of mere creating an appealing ProZ account?
Third, usually only idling can't help in getting anything, including new jobs.

IMO ProZ, namely - its members, *can* help one become more proficient and educated, can provide quite relevant answers and info, but it's not about ProZ only, it's about you.

Some colleagues will make objections, but to my judge it's much easier and more sensibly to find a local employer and keep improving your skills at ProZ too. There're always specific nuances, but soon you will learn it yourself)

Cheers

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
members-only jobs Nov 18, 2009

For an outsourcer, what are the benefits of advertising a job as members-only - if any?

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
seemingly-apparently Nov 19, 2009

see comparison here- http://www.proz.com/membership/campaign

IMO there're two main questions:
1) how good and reliable is your biz-partner?
2) will it be mutually beneficial relations?

Paying members are... just paying members - they invest some money and get a 'blue tie' to seem and feel more secure. I think it's no guarantee because it's still on the basis of trust. On the other hand paying members did make a little step forward to their clients and show that they care... At least, by eye.

Michael Zapuskalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:46
English to Russian
+ ...
IT really speaks for itself? Nov 19, 2009

Hynek Palatin wrote:
...What is your current position in the directory of EN-PT translators specialized in Mechanics? Here is a shortened link: http://bit.ly/4eFakw

[Edited at 2009-11-18 10:23 GMT]

Hynek, 7 or 8 answers and, as a result, first page or place in the field of expertise. Does IT look representative?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does being a ProZ.com member really help in getting new jobs?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search