How can I enter Portuguese accents using a UK keyboard?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2010

I am visiting the UK briefly and would like to continue working during this period to make some badly-needed cash. The problem is that the keyboards here do not have Portuguese acute, grave and circumflex accents, and were I to accept an EN>PT assignment I would need them. How could this be done? The only way I can see would be to put them in a separate Word file (using Insert/Symbol) and then paste them into the assignment whenever needed, but this would be very time-consuming.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
English to German
+ ...
select Pt keyboard Jan 2, 2010

in XP
- go to Control Panel
- Date, Time Language and Regional Options
- Regional and Language Options
- Text service and input language
- Details

and add Portuguese option.

You can then select this input language in the status bar - usually on the right.

Sebastian Abbo
Local time: 07:19
French to English
Lexibar Portuguese Jan 2, 2010

You could try using Lexibar Portuguese. It's free and very easy to use.

You can download it from:
http://www.lexicool.com/lexibar_portuguese_special_keyboard_characters.asp

Paul Hamelin
Luxembourg
Local time: 07:19
English to French
+ ...
ASCII Codes Jan 2, 2010

In circumstances where you can't apply the preceding recommendation (such as in cybercafes, for example), you can use the ASCII codes.
If you type "alt+0[code number]", you obtain the accented character.
For example, alt+0234 gives "ê"; alt+0233 gives "é"; alt+0249 gives "ù", etc.

You'll find easily these codes by googling "ascii table" or "ascii codes"; for example : http://www.asciitable.com, or http://ascii-table.com/special-chars.php
There are many others! Some are in PDF format, which makes it very easy to keep them with you (on a USB flash drive, for example).

I hope this helps.

[Modifié le 2010-01-02 20:27 GMT]

Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 06:19
Portuguese to English
That definitely works Jan 2, 2010

I switch between the two on a regular basis - the language bar sits on the bottom right hand side of my page and whenever I write in Portuguese I click on the language box.

Enjoy your trip and the cold!

Susana Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I also use the language bar Jan 2, 2010

I even have a shortcut key alt shift to switch between the two and I even installed the US international keyboard which has it all. If you need to you can even print a layout of the keyboard if you don't know by hear where some of the keys are.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I enter Portuguese accents using a UK keyboard?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search