Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
University City of London Mar 1, 2010

I just finished a short course on Subtitling there and I was quite pleased with the institution.
Except that I still haven't recieved my Certificate.

Cátia Cassiano
Cátia Cassiano  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:21
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
DipTrans Mar 2, 2010

Ewa Erdmann wrote:

Paula Borges wrote:
But I am determined to sit it next January, so wish me luck!

Good luck from a 2010 candidate... who is impatient to know the result!

I also took DipTrans in January 2010. You have to wait for the results for up to 14 weeks! Still have goosebumps when I think about it The exam itself was pure pleasure though, I don't know about the others but I did enjoy it

Good luck! [/quote]

Hi Ewa

I took DipTrans in January 2009. I did it for English to Portuguese. I agree with you, the exam was pure pleasure. I was so relaxed doing it that everything came to me naturally.

What I didn't like at all was the waiting. Paula be ready to wait until late April for your results, then another 2 months for your Diploma and then, if you want to apply for the membership, be ready to wait a bit more to get it.

Good luck to you. Muito boa sorte colega.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you take the exam in Australia? Mar 2, 2010

Catia Cassiano wrote:
I took DipTrans in January 2009. I did it for English to Portuguese. I agree with you, the exam was pure pleasure. I was so relaxed doing it that everything came to me naturally.

Just in case it is interesting information for other people intending to take DipTrans examinations, can you tell us whether you took the exam in Australia and where, in that case?

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also Mar 2, 2010

In case a preparatory course is not an option, would anyone know of books and material that could help?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hire a tutor in your language pair Mar 3, 2010

Paula Borges wrote:
In case a preparatory course is not an option, would anyone know of books and material that could help?

Hm... I'd say the DipTrans is primarily an empirical test. You can pass it if you translate with a high level of quality, and part of that is trying to pinpoint your defects and weak areas and polish them. In my opinion, only a tutor or another very experienced translator (ideally a person with a DipTrans in the language pair of your exam) can help you find your current weaknesses.

If you cannot take the course (not even the last module, which is all about translating 8 texts from real exams over a rather generous period and should not take you that much of your time), I strongly encourage you to look for some very experienced/DipTrans translator in your language pair who can give you texts to translate and can review them in a merciless way (i.e. not your partner) and can contribute with suggestions of improvement or study. Of course this process will cost you some money, but it will be a worthy investment.

Claudine-Hélène L.
Claudine-Hélène L.
France
English to French
+ ...
certificates and diplomas Mar 18, 2010

Hi Paula!

I passed the DipTrans (Eng/Fr; lit and law) last year and can only reiterate Tomas' advice on preparing for the exam. Books are not half as important as PRACTICE-lots of it-and FEEDBACK from some kind of tutor or experienced translator.

The other thing I would recommend would be to keep abreast of current events in the semi-specialized subjects you plan on taking (business, law, science and so on). Get ahold of as many past papers as you can (they can be order
... See more
Hi Paula!

I passed the DipTrans (Eng/Fr; lit and law) last year and can only reiterate Tomas' advice on preparing for the exam. Books are not half as important as PRACTICE-lots of it-and FEEDBACK from some kind of tutor or experienced translator.

The other thing I would recommend would be to keep abreast of current events in the semi-specialized subjects you plan on taking (business, law, science and so on). Get ahold of as many past papers as you can (they can be ordered through the IOL website for a fee). Check what publications the source texts usually come from and be sure to read them regularly. Read similar articles in target language magazines and newspapers.

Example: my source language was English and I had noticed that many past exam texts were taken from the British newspaper "The Guardian" so I made a point of reading it online every few days. Whenever I saw an interesting article on a law-related subject, I would make a point of searching out similar articles in "Le Monde" or "Le Monde Diplomatique" (French newspapers). I found it to be an extremely useful exercise that helped me alot terminology-wise.

As for the exam itself, I found that "time" was the most challenging element.
It depends, of course, on your own personal work method, but I quickly realized that I couldnt appproach the exam texts in my "usual way".
I'm almost a pathological perfectionist at times --or maybe just too curious for my own good-- so I often re-check words that I know perfectly well...just to see if, perhaps, the dictionary or Thesaurus suggest something I hadn't thought of (it's usually always JUST what I expected but still...never know, right ?)
Forget about that sort of thing during the DipTrans! You really have to limit yourself to looking up ONLY the one or two words you have a serious doubt about or you'll fall behind time-wise. Doing a few "test-runs" at home beforehand will help alot. I wasn't really used to translating "with an eye on my alarm clock" so a few timed tests really helped me evaluate things and pace myself.
On the day of the actual exam I ended up finishing most papers with a good 25-30 minutes left for re-reading & editing!

The exam itself wasn't at all as hard as I'd expected it to be... (guess i'd built it up as this "Big Bad Monster" in my mind!). Anyway, best of luck to you Paula and to all future candidates!

As for Certificates & Diplomas from City...I believe there's a "Diploma Commission" of sorts that meets up very rarely-I think it's once a year- to decide who has enough credits and who doesn't, who "gets" or "doesnt get"what diploma or certificate...Based on their decisions, diplomas and certificates are issued, all together, once a year. (For example: even if you earn enough credits by Winter term they wont order right away a print-up of a diploma just for you, you'll have to wait for the "yearly order to the printer")
I studied at City and at the time this explanation was given to a fellow student in my class...Dunno how reliable the info really is ???
Collapse

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Claudine Mar 18, 2010

Thank you so much for your advice!

Miss Anonymous
Miss Anonymous
Local time: 21:21
2010 dip trans result May 24, 2010

I took the exam in Jan, but still haven't got my result. The IOL people said that they had sent it out to individual candidates on 10 May 2010. I don't know if the Iceland Volcano eruption is the cause for the delay, but i'm going to call the IOL today to find out what happened!

Did anyone actually rec'd the result this month??

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Info May 24, 2010

There is a thread about that, there has been a delay.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Iol - Diptrans - Questions/Restrictions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »