Thread poster: Giuseppe Orlando
Giuseppe Orlando
Giuseppe Orlando
Italy
Local time: 13:51
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2010

Please, can you have a look at my CV and tell me your opinion about it? It is the outcome of a looong series of suggestions and CVs I like that I found here.
Thanks.

[Modificato alle 2010-04-03 13:12 GMT]

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice effort but... Apr 3, 2010

Nice effort, but to me it makes you look a bit inexperienced. Talk more about your recent projects, education, software, etc.

Good luck.

David

Giuseppe Orlando wrote:

Please, can you have a look at my CV and tell me your opinion about it? It is the outcome of a looong series of suggestions and CVs I like that I found here.
Thanks.

[Modificato alle 2010-04-03 13:12 GMT]

G.abdullina
G.abdullina
Local time: 14:51
Russian to English
+ ...
CV Apr 3, 2010

Of course it is outstanding and impressive at first sight, but I would like to make following comments. CV should have strongly pronounced structure and simple language of description (practical experience, education, professional skills and additional information – one after another). Employer must spend minimum of time to review your CV and make decision on it. All your key abilities, achievements and experience have to be striking. I propose using of action verbs in order to define your exp... See more
Of course it is outstanding and impressive at first sight, but I would like to make following comments. CV should have strongly pronounced structure and simple language of description (practical experience, education, professional skills and additional information – one after another). Employer must spend minimum of time to review your CV and make decision on it. All your key abilities, achievements and experience have to be striking. I propose using of action verbs in order to define your experience: "arrange", "organize", "establish" and so on. And do not attach your photo to CV, if it is not requested by employer.
I wish you every success!
Collapse

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
change order Apr 3, 2010

The order in a CV should be like this ->
- your name and details
- your education
- your working eperience
- certificates
- other knowledge
- memberships
- hobbies (optional)

First you should start with earliest date that you entered a school or an employement. In your case secondary school should be first to mention. After secondary school you mention the diploma.

[Edited at 2010-04-03 16:52 GMT]

Rachael Alexander
Rachael Alexander
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
English About Me Apr 3, 2010

I would put in n a description of yourself in English, albeit a shorter one, for prospective agencies/clients needing translations into ITA or FRE (they might not read those languages). I know your CV is in ENG but it saves a click. Sometimes a click makes a difference, it's just that bit more immediate. Perhaps put it under the part in Italian.

Ciao e buon lavoro.

Linda Kelly
Linda Kelly  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Order of events Apr 3, 2010

I've always been of the opinion that most recent experience/education etc should come first in terms of chronological listing, which seems to oppose a poster in this thread. What do others think? Should most recent (and in my case most relevant) education and experience come first, or the strictly chronological order from first to last?

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:51
English to Arabic
Great Apr 3, 2010

Well, honestly I am going to change my CV after seeing yours

Kaoru
Kaoru "Kay" Shibuya  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:51
English to Japanese
Layout Apr 4, 2010

I don't know if it's the font, font size, line spacing, the arrows or what, but I found your CV a little bit hard to read.

It looks a little flat, so to speak.

I would suggest changing layout / text decorations to make it more flowy and organized.

I would recommend taking a peek at everyone's CVs and 'steal' some good ideas

I am going to have to work on a CV myself.

... See more
I don't know if it's the font, font size, line spacing, the arrows or what, but I found your CV a little bit hard to read.

It looks a little flat, so to speak.

I would suggest changing layout / text decorations to make it more flowy and organized.

I would recommend taking a peek at everyone's CVs and 'steal' some good ideas

I am going to have to work on a CV myself.

Good luck!

Kay
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
CV order Apr 4, 2010

Karletto wrote:
First you should start with earliest date that you entered a school or an employement. In your case secondary school should be first to mention. After secondary school you mention the diploma.

That may be okay when applying for a full-time job, but not at all for a freelance translator. Your secondary school is much less important than your translation skills.

Your CV should be more like a sales brochure, emphasising what you have to offer -- your skills, your languages, your translation experience. Include your further education and diplomas, but not first.

Your CV is already going in that direction, so I just want to emphasise the importance of selling yourself as a translator. You might even include some short examples of your translations.

One final minor point -- for safety and security, your CV should be a PDF file, not a doc.

Giuseppe Orlando
Giuseppe Orlando
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 4, 2010

Thank you all.
After reading your advice, I will add some details about my education, sectorial competences and projects (when possibile), and then a mini-resume and probably a vision of our job and business relations with client/agency, that, anyway, I have already put in my Proz profile in my mother tongue. Moreover, according to what an agency owner wrote in an article on Proz, I am not going to remove my photo. It helps people contacting you by e-mail to know your sex and, possibly, to
... See more
Thank you all.
After reading your advice, I will add some details about my education, sectorial competences and projects (when possibile), and then a mini-resume and probably a vision of our job and business relations with client/agency, that, anyway, I have already put in my Proz profile in my mother tongue. Moreover, according to what an agency owner wrote in an article on Proz, I am not going to remove my photo. It helps people contacting you by e-mail to know your sex and, possibly, to create more trust also.

Peter Linton wrote:
your CV should be a PDF file, not a doc.

Yes, that's what I think; but unfortunately my PDF file is too big for Proz.

Did you notice that I changed the lenght of the page in order to put everything in a page only? Zoom out and you will see how long it is. I think that that makes the reading easier and the text more pleasant to see.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Looking good, IMO Apr 4, 2010

Peter Linton wrote:
Your secondary school is much less important than your translation skills.

Your CV should be more like a sales brochure, emphasising what you have to offer -- your skills, your languages, your translation experience. Include your further education and diplomas, but not first.

I agree entirely with this advice, and I think your CV is suitable for a freelancer. Mind you, I wonder why it says "Curriculum Vitae" at the top - I think that goes without saying!

The only comment that immediately comes to mind is that it's all clear except for the one bit of info. that is imperative for your reader to get right - your email address. I had to zoom in at 200% before I could read it clearly. Of course, many people would say that putting an email address onto the Internet (even if barely legible) is asking for trouble, and would advise you to omit it from your online CV. It's safer to suggest that readers contact you through your ProZ profile or a website - where you get to know their email address before they get to know yours.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

feedback about my CV

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »