Breaking through - how do I find work?
Thread poster: Sandra Stein

Sandra Stein
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
English to Portuguese
Apr 5, 2010

Hi guys hope you are well,

Im a student at the Westminister University for the Diploma in Translation (DIP trans), currently I'm getting more and more involved with translation environment by the memberships have taken part.
At the moment I'm applying tirelessly for volunteer works, proofreader and in-house positions, though the lack of demand of Portuguese work has been letting me down and also the absence of response bac from companies and institutions I apply to.

What should I do? Any advice or opinion will be welcomed.

Thanks a lot,

Sandra Stein

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My advice, for what it's worth Apr 5, 2010

Sandra Stein wrote:
What should I do? Any advice or opinion will be welcomed.

Hello Sandra,

I suggest you start by reading every thread in this forum for the past couple of years, taking note of every bit of information that could apply to you.

When you've done that, if you have any specific questions or observations, post them here.

Good luck.

Sheila

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
This was posted just yesterday, for example... Apr 5, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/161939-what_does_a_new_translator_have_to_do_to_find_work.html

Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:31
English to Russian
+ ...
query Apr 5, 2010

Hi Sandra,

If you drop me a line through Proz, I think I could refer you to someone who can supply you with translation/editing work on a volunteer basis.

Paula Borges  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:31
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just a few observations Apr 5, 2010

It is great that you are studying for the Diptrans, once you've passed this certainly will help you. I intend to do it next year, but haven't had the time to begin studying yet!

You also say you hold a Certificate from Cambridge, there are more than one, maybe you should be more specific.

In my opinion, your profile information sounds more personal than professional, the agencies are interested in knowning if you have any experience translating, if you don't, post some samples, explain how your work experience would help you translate and focus on certain areas that you know well.

Good luck!

Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation sample Apr 5, 2010

Also, your translation sample does not have one portuguese accent, and it should.

Good luck

Ligia

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Your sample translation Apr 5, 2010

The English in your sample translation is really weird - it's been computer-translated from Portuguese.

Sorry, we're not sounding very positive, are we? But it's all constructive criticism, so good luck.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 15:42 GMT]

Chiara Mazza
Italy
Local time: 16:31
German to Italian
+ ...
Spelling and grammar Apr 6, 2010

I am not English mothertongue, but reading both your profile and your post at the beginning of this topic, I found many spelling and grammar mistakes. Should I want to hire someone for an English-Portuguese translation, I would hire someone with an impressive grammar both in his/her mothertongue as well as in English. I would therefore advise you to have your profile and your CV checked by an English teacher or a fellow student (English mothertongue).

[Edited at 2010-04-06 09:40 GMT]

Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Focus on Portuguese? Apr 6, 2010

It would be useful to add a CV or a cover letter in Portuguese (I haven't noticed any Portuguese text there).

[Редактировалось 2010-04-06 22:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Breaking through - how do I find work?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search