Thread poster: Chiara Mazza

Chiara Mazza
Italy
Local time: 00:52
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 9, 2010

Hello everybody,

my name is Chiara and am Italian. I am a university graduate with a degree in foreign modern languages and literatures, German and Portuguese (which I can hardly speak) and have studied 5%literature, 25% German and Portuguese language and 70% history and culture. Having always been passionate about foreign languages, I have spent many holidays attending summer German courses and travelling. Now I am considering, while looking for a new job, to start applying to translation agencies. I have always liked translating, especially English-Italian, but also German-Italian, but having neither an official degree in translation nor the time to spend two full years attending an university in Italy, German or the UK, am looking for online or distance courses I could attend: translation memories, translation, ... Do you know of any serious institution or university offering such courses? I have read of the IOL exam in the UK, but since it lasts 5 years and I don't know if it's a long distance course, I am looking for something shorter: two years or less would be fine. And what about the language certification? I have a TOEIC for the English language and a ZMP and ZOP for the German language.
One last question (at least for now): How important is it for an agency in Europe (Italy, Austria, Germany, UK) hiring people with x year experience? Are they also willing to hire someone with little experience for an internship or else? I am asking because yesterday, as I was browsing through some websites, I ran only into sites looking for really experienced translators.
Thanks for all the advice you will give me,
Chiara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting a career as translator in Europe

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search