https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/162571-advise_on_law_status_and_establishing_a_business_in_france.html

Advise on law status and establishing a business in France
Thread poster: Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:29
English to French
+ ...
Apr 13, 2010

Hello,

I'm thinking about relocating elsewhere.

An option would be to rellocate in France, but I would need to get some papers from the administration (father's proof of nationality) and to establish my nationality...

And actually I have two questions:

1/ Is there any kind of lawyer who can help me obtain documents from the administration if I don't have the original papers (would be more of a detective work).

2/If I pass step two
... See more
Hello,

An option would be to rellocate in France, but I would need to get some papers from the administration (father's proof of nationality) and to establish my nationality...

1/ Is there any kind of lawyer who can help me obtain documents from the administration if I don't have the original papers (would be more of a detective work).

2/If I pass step two and establish my proof of nationality, would it be easy to set up a business as a freelancer without the help of a lawyer, and what kind of taxes would I have to pay ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MoH
Collapse

Helen B (X)
Helen B (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:29
English to French
+ ...
Setting up a business in France Apr 13, 2010

I don't know the answer to your first question. However, there have been lots of complaints in France lately about how difficult it is to have your French nationality established. The procedure does not seem overly straightforward so it might be useful to get help (more information about the request procedure here).

As far as setting up a business in France is concerned
... See more
I don't know the answer to your first question. However, there have been lots of complaints in France lately about how difficult it is to have your French nationality established. The procedure does not seem overly straightforward so it might be useful to get help (more information about the request procedure here).

As far as setting up a business in France is concerned, you will find lots of information on the APCE website (http://www.apce.com/).
In any case if you opt for the simplest forms of companies (Auto-entrepreneur ou Entreprise individuelle), you will not need the assistance of a lawyer.

[Edited at 2010-04-13 07:36 GMT]
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hélène Apr 13, 2010

Thanks !

Actually, I tried to do step 1 by myself but it's depressing as there is little information given from the consulate for a special case like mine thus the idea of a lawyer to save myself the trouble and have it done by a pro...

For the second point I'm also interested in the percentage of revenue I'll have to give to the gov.

Thanks a lot again

Helen B (X)
Helen B (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Tax Apr 13, 2010

As an Entreprise individuelle, my rough estimate is that between 40 and 50 % of my income will be used to pay taxes and contributions. I don't know if you've read it already but there's an interesting thread that mentioned this subject here.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Advise on law status and establishing a business in France Apr 13, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

Hello,

2/If I pass step two and establish my proof of nationality, would it be easy to set up a business as a freelancer without the help of a lawyer, and what kind of taxes would I have to pay ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MoH

Read this. Hope it helps.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Pablo it did help Apr 13, 2010

Thanks Pablo it was very useful !

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wow! Apr 13, 2010

I was thinking about relocating to France too, but 40-50% for tax etc. is seriously steep.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed! Apr 13, 2010

yes I think so too !

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
This is one of the reasons why... Apr 13, 2010

Tatty wrote:

I was thinking about relocating to France too, but 40-50% for tax etc. is seriously steep.

I am searching for alternatives. France is definitively neither the best, nor the cheapest country to live in when you are a sole proprietor... And some potential customers/clients seem to think that even € 0.10 ex VAT per word is way too expensive.

[Edited at 2010-04-13 10:33 GMT]

Mohamed Mehenoun
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Get the nationality and then locate elsewhere ? Apr 13, 2010

Maybe the best option in my case would be to get my paperwork done and locate elswhere in Europe then...Anyone can recommand a lawyer ?

Thanks ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advise on law status and establishing a business in France

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »