Thread poster: tatios

tatios
Australia
Local time: 09:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 15, 2010

Dear all,
I have recently moved to Zuerich, Switzerland and would like to start working as an independent self-employed freelance translator. Could you please share any information concerning the process of getting all the officaial procedures and papers done? What exactly will I need? I already know that I need to get registered with AHV and SVA services, but what form exactly I need to fill in? My biggest problem is the poor knowledge of German, which is an official language here.
I will be very thankful for any piece of information.
Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Caroline Kopp  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:11
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
SVA form Apr 15, 2010

Hello Tatios and welcome in Zürich!

The SVA form you need to fill in is:
Fragebogen für Selbständigerwerbende und Personengesellschaften.

You find it on the SVA website:
http://www.svazurich.ch/index/index.cfm?page=akb_selb&sprache=de#anmeldung

You will need to send it to the SVA and, a few weeks later, you will be informed about whether or not you get the status of independant worker. This is important to get work from translation agencies here.

Have also a look at the form called "Abgrenzungskriterien zur Abklärung der selbständigen Erwerbstätigkeit". This helps you to determine whether you have a chance to get the status of independant worker here.

You are right: everything is in german... May I ask you where you are coming from and what is your mother tongue. Your profile is unfortunately empty.

Regards,
Caroline

[Edited at 2010-04-15 08:57 GMT]

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Official websites Apr 15, 2010

Hi Tatios and welcome to Switzerland!

Luckily for you, the official websites of the Swiss Confederation are available in English as well
Try to have a look here if you are en EU/EFTA citizen:
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/fza_schweiz-eu-efta/eu-efta_buerger_schweiz.html

If not, just search here:
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen.html

Hope that helps,
Irene

Nicole Mueller
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
me too ... new in Switzerland Apr 15, 2010

Hi Tatios,

I also just moved to Zürich and I have already sent my SVA form/AHV request 2 weeks ago. Now I wait for the answer. As I understand, the next step will be at the end of the year the tax declaration, from AHV you will get your quote to pay monthly and taxes after declaration next year.

I wonder, if they accept, how to manage with a low budget the bookkeping ... is it easy to make it by yourself? Is there any interesting literature or website explaining in a good way what to do and what not?

Maybe some of the "Eidgenossen" have some advices how to move the first steps as a freelance translator in this fantastic city )

Best regards
Nicole

tatios
Australia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Filling out the application form Apr 15, 2010

Thank you, ladies, so much for your replies!

So is it right, that first I need to get AHV-Nummer, then submit SVA-form and wait for the reply? Then I have some questions about filling out the form Fragebogen für Selbständigerwerbende und Personengesellschaften on the SVA website:
http://www.svazurich.ch/index/index.cfm?page=akb_selb&sprache=de#anmeldung

paragraph 1: to what category I belong? "Einzelfirma?"
paragraph 3: what shall I right as a work address? My home address?
paragraph 12: Shall I ask for AHV-Ausweise here or apply for it separately?
paragraph 15: How can I provide bills and contracts if I haven't started working yet?

As for the book keeping - I have absolutely no idea how to manage it. I just hope it won't be too bad as I expect very modest income:)

By the way, how much are the taxes we will have to pay? So we will need to pay VAT and SVA? Or something else as well?

Thank you so much once again for your promt replies and support!
Tatiana

[Edited at 2010-04-16 14:51 GMT]

Nicole Mueller
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
if this helps ... Apr 17, 2010

Hi,

as I know VAT is only to calcolate on the invoice when you have an income over 100.000 CHF.

paragraph 1: to what category I belong? "Einzelfirma?"-- I did so

paragraph 3: what shall I right as a work address? My home address? -- I work from home so I wrote this address

paragraph 12: Shall I ask for AHV-Ausweise here or apply for it separately? -- I asked it separtely but I think it doesn't import

paragraph 15: How can I provide bills and contracts if I haven't started working yet? -- Have you any contact with future clients? Maybe you can write a "small businessplan" ...

How much you have to pay taxes ... depends on many factors: are single, how many costs do you have, how much is your income ecc.

Hope this will help you and have a nice weekend (and Sechselüüti)
Nicole

tatios
Australia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sending an application form Apr 17, 2010

Dear Nicole,
Thank you very much for being so helpful! I submitted this form yesterday. I wrote everything as you recommended, besides the last paragraph. I mentioned that I coudn't provide any papers yet (although I already have a company, which is ready to sign a ontract with me and is only waiting for my AHV-Ausweise:) Probably it's my mistake, and following your advice I had to describe my future plans. But now it's too late. Maybe I will send them some kind of Appendix.
So let's see now what happens....
By the way, have you got any news from SVA? Don't you know approximately how long it takes to have the papers done?

Thank you so much once again a happy week-end to you too,
Take care,
Tatiana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as a freelance translator in Zurich

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search