What is the best way to answer a job/give a quote
Thread poster: Tilster

Tilster
Local time: 20:10
English to French
Apr 20, 2010

Hi all,

I have just started as a freelancer and didn't get any job at the moment, but I am wondering if when I quote for a job and give my rate and talk about my fields of competence, I actually do it properly.
Most of the time I email saying I would be very interested in translating the project (a bit duuuhhh... I know), and then, talk about my experience, give my rate, and that's roughly it.

Should I always propose a free sample of translation?

Any example of "how to answer a job properly" would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Tilster

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 17

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:10
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good candidate for a Wiki article? Apr 20, 2010

Tilster wrote:
Any example of "how to answer a job properly" would be very welcome!

I think we could all benefit from new ideas on that subject.

It sounds to me as though you are on the right lines, although it's important to keep it specific - only tell them what they're interested in, not your life history.

I certainly wouldn't systematically offer a free translation, although I always specify that any quote will only be made firm when I have seen a random sample of the text. This is particularly true when proofreading long documents, where the quality on page 36 is often way below that on page 1.

Like 8

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
There is even a blog about it Apr 20, 2010

http://optimumbid.com - there are some interesting points there ....

Like 6

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:10
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Cover Letter Apr 20, 2010

I have a cover letter that I previously wrote. I use this letter to answer a job along with my resume. If you would like some inspiration to write cover letter, web is pretty rich in cover letter samples.

Like 15

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There are cover letters ... and cover letters Apr 20, 2010

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:
I have a cover letter that I previously wrote. I use this letter to answer a job along with my resume. If you would like some inspiration to write cover letter, web is pretty rich in cover letter samples.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to use model letters from the web (or from anywhere else, for that matter). One VERY important point is that we are businesses - we are not applying for a salaried job. Another point, which applies as much to us as employees, is that each and every cover letter should be targeted at the reader.

I've tried several times to set up a "model" cover letter - it just doesn't work! The most I ever do to save time is to edit a recent letter that was used in quoting for a very similar job. Even then, I tend to hack it around before I'm satisfied. Mainly, I start from scratch each time.

It doesn't have to be long, but it DOES have to be good. Having said that, I'm sure I can benefit from others' ideas as much as the next person.

Note to Stanislaw:

A very interesting blog, that I'll be reading later. But what exactly is it? It talks about ProZ - is it a part of ProZ, or what? I'm confused!

Like 18

Tilster
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Agree with Sheila Apr 20, 2010

First of all, thank you for your answers, they are all very helpful! Good blog!

I agree with Sheila though, about the cover letters. I think you have to make it personal, but at the same time, keep it brief, and clear, and detailed, and straight to the point... Easier said than done!

I actually wondered how people can do to answer a job so quick. I know that by the time I receive a job, and I write my little quote and everything, there are already 10 (if not more!) people who have already quoted.
They must have something already prepared, otherwise, they are the fastest typer ever!

So, can anyone tell us if there are some details/experience/important note that they include in their quote whatever the job is?

Thanks!

Like 15

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
- Apr 20, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Note to Stanislaw:

A very interesting blog, that I'll be reading later. But what exactly is it? It talks about ProZ - is it a part of ProZ, or what? I'm confused!

Hi Sheila, this is the blog of our colleague jmleger: http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/155056-optimizing_your_prozcom_bids.html

And I totally agree with your entire post!

[Edited at 2010-04-20 21:20 GMT]

Like 18

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thanks, Aude Apr 21, 2010

Aude Sylvain wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
Note to Stanislaw:

Hi Sheila, this is the blog of our colleague jmleger: http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/155056-optimizing_your_prozcom_bids.html

Right - that explains the link to ProZ, thanks. It's a brilliant blog and I advise anyone and everyone to follow it. I doubt that there is a single person reading this thread who feels they get every job they are well qualified for and couldn't make some improvements somewhere.

Like 7

jmleger  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
English to French
+ ...
My blog optimumbid.com Apr 21, 2010

I am not connected to Proz except as a regular user. My blog only aims at helping providers devise better bidding strategies, and hopefully be more successful. Go read it if you want to see where I am coming from.

Like 7

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best way to answer a job/give a quote

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search