Thread poster: Carlos Diaz de Leon
Carlos Diaz de Leon
Carlos Diaz de Leon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2004

Does anyone know how to go about getting certification in Mexico, or which exist? (Other than the State Court System)
I am also interested in any other cerifications available, but there seem to be none locally where I reside (Tijuan, Baja California, Mexico)

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Certification Jan 4, 2004

Hi again, Carlos.

There does not seem to be much anywhere. In the courts, "peritos" seem to be appointed specifically in each case by the judge depending on who may be available and who knows the judge, regardless of talent.

One alternative is to take the U.S. Federal Court Interpreter's exam. I have a friend in Cd. Juárez who took it and passed it. The fact that he was not a U.S. resident was no obstacle. Another colleague in the same situation took it with me over 20
... See more
Hi again, Carlos.

There does not seem to be much anywhere. In the courts, "peritos" seem to be appointed specifically in each case by the judge depending on who may be available and who knows the judge, regardless of talent.

One alternative is to take the U.S. Federal Court Interpreter's exam. I have a friend in Cd. Juárez who took it and passed it. The fact that he was not a U.S. resident was no obstacle. Another colleague in the same situation took it with me over 20 years ago. Later she got a green card and has been working for the Federal Courts for quite a few years.

It has no official significance outside the U.S. Federal Court system, but it does carry a lot of weight as "credentials".
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter Certification in Mexico

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »