Thread poster: Joanna M.
Joanna M.
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 11, 2010

Hello,
I have received my first job as a translator - it is from a translation agency. Could someone please specify all the necessary steps I need to take in ordere able to be able to charge them. Do I need to set up a company / a company bank account etc. I would appreciate all the details as I have no idea where to start.
Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
No need for special banking account Jun 11, 2010

Assuming you have a normal private current account, you can be paid into that. Most UK clients prefer to pay direct into a bank account these days, though some still send cheques. Clients from abroad may prefer some organisation such as PayPal or moneybookers. You can put your bank sort code and your account number on your invoice, also the IBAN and BIC numbers for the account. I read somewhere recently that it is now a requirement to put your own filing number for the invoice on it, so I am now doing that. Clients in other EU countries may expect a VAT number but will accept a Social Security number instead, along with a statement that VAT is not required for you under UK law.

Joanna M.
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much. Jun 11, 2010

How about Revenue and Customs side? Do I need to inform them or just fill in the self-employment bit at the end of the tax year?

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Please become a professional Jun 11, 2010

moodget wrote:
Do I need to set up a company / a company bank account etc.

I wish you well in your future career as a translator but I really feel you should have given a little thought to your structure and procedures before accepting your first job.

You are acting as a business, even if you have not actually become "Ltd". As such, you need to think in a businesslike way. Luckily for you, you don't need to do anything very much to trade legally in the UK (in France it takes months to set up a business). Still, you need to research subjects like:

required fields for the invoice
tax and social security requirements
professional insurance cover
minimum records to keep

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Moodget Jun 11, 2010

moodget wrote:
Could someone please specify all the necessary steps I need to take in ordere able to be able to charge them? Do I need to set up a company / a company bank account etc.

You're a freelance translator, which means that you operate in your personal capacity. This means (or usually means) that you can use your own personal bank account. You can, of course, open a special business bank account also, if you want to (even if you're a freelance translator), but my experience is that business bank services are more expensive than personal bank services and you don't get *any* benefit from it, unless you own a very large business.

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:09
English to Swedish
Inland Revenue Jun 14, 2010

Hi,

If you plan to be self employed you must inform Inland Revenue within three month from accepting your first job or you may be fined. It is very easy, just phone them up and explain the situation, they will then post you the relevant forms/information.

Good luck,
Asa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for a commissioned translation -technical sidee

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search