https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/186326-are_business_licenses_required.html

Are business licenses required?
Thread poster: Gene Brode (X)
Gene Brode (X)
Gene Brode (X)
United States
Local time: 03:49
Spanish to English
Nov 26, 2010

Does anyone know if freelancers must register as a business and get a license before providing translation services here in the US? I tutor on the side and claim it on my taxes, but I don't have a "license."

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Never heard of it Nov 26, 2010

I've never heard of such a requirement; however there are 50 states and countless localities, so who knows? Your best bet is not to worry about such matters unless it comes to your attention that there may be some requirement to fulfill where you are established.

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Varies Nov 26, 2010

Such requirements are usually local and they vary from one place to another. In Fairfax, Virginia, where I live, there is a requirement to have a business license if your annual gross revenues are over USD 10,000. (This applies regardless of the type of business.) I'd recommend running "business license [name of city] [name of county] [name of state]" (not in quotes) through your favorite search engine and see what you get. If there's a chamber of commerce where you live, they probably know.

Gene Brode (X)
Gene Brode (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll check that Nov 26, 2010

Thanks, I will look into that. BTW I'm a Fairfax native, now living in Ohio. Tell everyone hi for me...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask your tax accountant Nov 27, 2010

In Oregon a small business needs a business license if the company's income exceeds $25,000 per year, for example. The license itself costs $220 per year.

Ibuesa
Ibuesa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on your location Dec 10, 2010

Hi all,

As far as I know, it depends on where you are located.

In my case, I had to apply for a business license and a Fictitious Business Name even if I work as self-employed.

There is more information on this site:

http://www.business.gov/register/licenses-and-permits/

I hope that helps.

Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are business licenses required?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »