Cannot find copyright holders
Thread poster: gdouglass
gdouglass
Local time: 19:49
French to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2011

Have translated 3 books by the same man (1906-1987), a Russian emigre to France, wrote several books in French and Russian, but only one has been published in English. The small French publishing houses he used (Ed. Regain, Ed. Presence) seem to be defunct, and even the Moscow publisher of his Russian collected works (Raduga) seems to have folded. His wife died in 2005, they had no children, have not been able to discover heirs or living copyright holders. The Moscow publisher copyrighted the design of the 4-volume collected works, and the introductory biographical essay was copyrighted by its author, but no copyright was listed for the actual content.

I'm looking for suggestions about how to proceed; need to obtain translation permission.

[Edited at 2011-01-27 20:09 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Initial comment Jan 27, 2011

gdouglass wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions about how to proceed; need to obtain translation permission.

I'll start with the most obvious -- why do you need to obtain translation permission? Do you want to publish the books yourself?

gdouglass
Local time: 19:49
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why seek translation permission? Jan 27, 2011

My publishing options for the three books are rather wide open, ranging from self-publishing through coop publishing to a major publishing house; have been advised that seeking translation permission is a sound idea, and a college librarian even suggested contacting a copyright attorney, given the difficulty in finding any copyright holders. I will confess what must be obvious, that I'm quite ignorant of established procedures in this area.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot find copyright holders

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search