Looking for Volunteer Translation Opportunities
Thread poster: Erin Summers

Erin Summers

Local time: 06:57
French to English
Feb 1, 2011

I am looking to do some volunteer translation work (French to English) in order to gain some experience as I am just starting out on a new career path.
Does anyone know of any NGOs or other organizations that I could contact?
Thank you!

Krzysztof Pawliszak
Poland
Local time: 12:57
English to Polish
+ ...
GV Feb 1, 2011

Hi Erin,

I think one of the best opportunities gives Global Voices (globalvoicesonline.org). There is Lingua French project and they need ENFR volunteer translators. Have a look!

Krzysztof

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:57
SITE FOUNDER
Translators Without Borders Feb 1, 2011

Check out Translators Without Borders:
http://tsf.eurotexte.fr/

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No listing on ProZ? Feb 1, 2011

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hello Henry,

Is there nowhere on the site for NGOs to list their requirements? I'm surprised that it isn't a search field on the comapies' directory.

Sheila

armagankilci
Local time: 13:57
Turkish to English
+ ...
TED: Ideas worth spreading Feb 1, 2011

Hello Erin,

I'd suggest you to check out TED Open Translation Project. I am not sure if it corresponds to the definition of what we understand of NGO. However, its aim is to enrich the awareness on topics like poverty, nuclear pollution, sustainable food, mental rigidness, and etc. For me, it expands the notion of NGO. I can define it as a virtual NGO, based on a visual database.

Several scholars, wannabee's, enthusiasts all over the world come together and discuss the
... See more
Hello Erin,

I'd suggest you to check out TED Open Translation Project. I am not sure if it corresponds to the definition of what we understand of NGO. However, its aim is to enrich the awareness on topics like poverty, nuclear pollution, sustainable food, mental rigidness, and etc. For me, it expands the notion of NGO. I can define it as a virtual NGO, based on a visual database.

Several scholars, wannabee's, enthusiasts all over the world come together and discuss the topics. What TED ask from volunteers is the translation of video-lectures into various languages.

I enjoyed some of the lectures and applied for a translation to play a role in this process.

Here's a link:
http://www.ted.com/

P.S. As fas as I see, the lectures are in English, which are waiting to be translated into all of our languages.
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:57
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
There is an article about that Feb 2, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hello Henry,

Is there nowhere on the site for NGOs to list their requirements? I'm surprised that it isn't a search field on the comapies' directory.

Sheila

There is an article listing them but I can't seem to find it !

Erin you can also register with the Rosetta Foundation(www.therosettafoundation.org/) and try contacting BCAM (www.therosettafoundation.org/).

Cheers,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Volunteer Translation Opportunities

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search