Help: Freelancing, self-employed, registration...aso
Thread poster: Verena H

Verena H
Local time: 20:11
English to German
Feb 14, 2011

Hello everybody!
My name is Verena and I am totally new in the freelancing business.
I am currently unemployed but I work as a volunteer translator for different charity organisations.
I want to get started as a freelance translator.
I need some help concerning the process of freelancing, how it is with taxes, insurances...aso.

Do I need to register myself as a freelancer? If so, do I have to do it right know before I even got a task?
I had a look at different websites but still, I am confused.
Also concerning National Insurance; I read about the possibility to register as self-employed with a low income, would you recommend that for the beginning?
Is freelancing the exact same thing as self-employed?

I am so sorry if my questions might be confusing but that’s exactly how I am feeling right now.
So I am grateful for any advice or help.
Thank you so much in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Registering with HM Revenue and Customs Feb 14, 2011

Hallo Verena,

it is very easy to become self-employed. For us translators, we use "Freelance" to mean " independent", pretty much the same thing.

I recomend you contact your local Revenue and Customs office. When I first started here in the UK, I attended a one-day course they offered for newly-self-employed people. very helpful.

Basically, you need to register with R&C within 3 months (or it was 3 months, you should check) of starting work as a self-employed professional. You can register by phone (amazing but true!!). You can start work before registering.

You will need to pay National Insurance contributions of approx £8 a week as from your registration.

Every year, you will have to submit your income to the tax authorities for assessment. I have an accountant to do this for me, as he knows exactly what I can claim as expenses and what not.

Then you will get a tax bill, which will include another contribution to National Insurance, depending on how much your earn. I reckon I pay about 30% of my earnings in tax and national insurance.

You only need to register for VAT if you earn over a ceratin threshold, which is quite high - something like £50,000 - you will have to check this.

Hope this helps!

Send me a private email if you need more advice.

good luck!

Verena H
English to German
Thank you Feb 14, 2011

Thank you very much, Mary!

That was exactly what I was looking for!

And thank you for offering further advice, I am sure some more questions might come up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Freelancing, self-employed, registration...aso

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search