Thread poster: Lara Barnett

Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:01
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2011

I am just on the verge of receiving my first translation jobs through agencies as an official "freelancer". I don't have a business or a marketing training yet and I cannot figure out whether "Business Skills for Translators" or "Marketing techniques for Translators" would be better to do for someone in my position.
I know that everybody starts off with a different level of experience in these two areas anyway, but I do feel that I have a weakness in both areas: I am aware I really need to improve my business skills in order to deal with the (few) agencies I have been contacted by, however it is still a challenge knowing the best way to attract clients and to market myself.
If anyone has experience of having done these courses, which one do you feel would be more beneficial as a first course? or is there anything you think is particularly essential on either of these courses that would make it worthwhile missing the other one for? (while I cannot afford to buy two right now).

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I think Mar 5, 2011

LaraBarnett wrote:

I am just on the verge of receiving my first translation jobs through agencies as an official "freelancer". I don't have a business or a marketing training yet and I cannot figure out whether "Business Skills for Translators" or "Marketing techniques for Translators" would be better to do for someone in my position.
I know that everybody starts off with a different level of experience in these two areas anyway, but I do feel that I have a weakness in both areas: I am aware I really need to improve my business skills in order to deal with the (few) agencies I have been contacted by, however it is still a challenge knowing the best way to attract clients and to market myself.
If anyone has experience of having done these courses, which one do you feel would be more beneficial as a first course? or is there anything you think is particularly essential on either of these courses that would make it worthwhile missing the other one for? (while I cannot afford to buy two right now).

Personally I don't think you need to spend time or money on either - and congratulations on winning your first jobs - but of the two, I'd say "Business Skills for Translators" is more important. Just being able to stay on top of your book-keeping, invoicing etc. whilst handling a workflow that can become quite intense, is more important, I think. Where translating is concerned, marketing is less important, at first, than building a track record so that you in fact have something to market; and the best way to market your services as a translator is to always enhance your profile here at Proz.com, through which you are likely to he headhunted by agencies looking for good people.

Your profile already looks pretty good but as soon as you deliver your first jobs, try to get your clients to leave recommendations under the "willingness to work again" section.

[Edited at 2011-03-05 16:10 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 5, 2011

Thanks for great informative info. I have received a training video with my subscription as part of the package, so I may go for the one you have recommended if nobody else suggests otherwise.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
ITI PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT GROUP (PSG) Mar 5, 2011

This course covers business skills and marketing. Might suit you.

See http://www.iti.org.uk/pages/cpd/index.asp?ID=06

ITI PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT GROUP (PSG)

(Let me declare an interest – I am a member of the ITI).

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Mar 5, 2011

I have bookmarked this page. Although I do know of this course and looked into it but it's a bit late to sign onto it and is also a bit expensive for me. I was looking into the two Proz courses, "Business Skills for Translators" and "Marketing techniques for Translators" because they were two of three courses that were being offered with my subscription package (the other one was on project management). Obviously I want to make use of my training credit and watch one of these training videos, but it was just which one, ie. business or marketing. I will probably take up Tom's suggestion and go for the business one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Business and Marketing training course

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search