Where do I find jobs as a ES/PT > EN translator?
Thread poster: Michelle Temple

Michelle Temple  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2004

Hello,

I graduated last December with an MA in translation studies specialized in translation from Spanish and Portuguese into English. I'm currently in the UK and am finding it quite difficult to find jobs in my langauge pair. Due to my limited experience, I'm focussing primarily on finding an in-house translation job or an administrative job requiring translation (there don't seem to be many of either). I've also been applying to agencies as a freelancer but never hear anything from them.
It seems that almost all jobs are for translators working INTO Spanish and Portuguese. Where are all the jobs for those of us translating into English? Would I be better off moving to Spain or Portugal or another Spanish or Portuguese speaking country? It's been almost 8 months since I started looking for work. In my spare time I've been doing volunteer translations (for the UN online volunteering program) and haven't quit my day-job, but am starting to near my wits' end with finding translation work.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!


 

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:09
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Specialize and internet... Mar 26, 2004

Michelle Temple de Pérez wrote:

Where are all the jobs for those of us translating into English? Would I be better off moving to Spain or Portugal or another Spanish or Portuguese speaking country?

This is the era of internet - so you do not have to physically move to Spain to do translations for Spanish agencies!

Contrary to what you might think, there are many translations from Sp/pt into English. Just think of hotels, tourist resorts and even some industrial products.

You could start checking out all the translator's job boards, and participate in the YAHOO group for proofreaders - it is a way to gain experience!

And then - it is very important to know a lot about some fields. It is not enough to know a little of everything.

Good luck,
Anjo


 

Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't give up! Mar 26, 2004

Dear Michelle,

Don't give up. I remember that when I started it took quite a while before I received a lot of job offers and I worried that I would never make it (in fact, in the beginning I only received a couple of jobs a month). It takes time to build up client relations.

First, market your strong points (Are you a strong IT person or technical Ace, show that off in your CV and letters to clients), give your utmost to that first job you receive and, very important!, do not sell yourself short.

You'll see; the rest will come, trust me - BUT, it takes time. When you are in the position that you need to say 'no' to several jobs a day, I know that you will think of me a the other end of the world and smile.

Oh, by the way, my language combinations are Spanish into English and Dutch into English.

Take care and God bless!
Lucinda


 

lator
United States
Local time: 10:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
To Lucinda Mar 28, 2004

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

Oh, by the way, my language combinations are Spanish into English and Dutch into English.

Take care and God bless!
Lucinda


Do you do English into Spanish as well?

Derek


 

lator
United States
Local time: 10:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lucinda Mar 28, 2004

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

Dear Michelle,

Don't give up. I remember that when I started it took quite a while before I received a lot of job offers and I worried that I would never make it (in fact, in the beginning I only received a couple of jobs a month). It takes time to build up client relations.

First, market your strong points (Are you a strong IT person or technical Ace, show that off in your CV and letters to clients), give your utmost to that first job you receive and, very important!, do not sell yourself short.

You'll see; the rest will come, trust me - BUT, it takes time. When you are in the position that you need to say 'no' to several jobs a day, I know that you will think of me a the other end of the world and smile.

Oh, by the way, my language combinations are Spanish into English and Dutch into English.

Take care and God bless!
Lucinda


 

Michelle Temple  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Mar 29, 2004

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to this post and who contacted me via email.

I received a lot of great advice and will incorporate all of it into my search for work. I feel a lot more confident now and am sure something will come along eventually.

Thanks again!!!


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where do I find jobs as a ES/PT > EN translator?

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search