What are the usual rates for German to English?
Thread poster: Himach

Himach
Local time: 12:50
German to English
+ ...
May 4, 2011

I have done quite a few translations during my college days and used help my mother with several of them.German-English.I am now a Medical doctor,trying to change profession.Wonder what the rates for translation from German to English are over the world these days.Wonder if anyboby can advise me about getting myself established in the field.

Thanks

Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
over the world... May 4, 2011

0.01 to 0.5 per word

Himach
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beg your pardon May 4, 2011

Sorry, I don't understand. 0.01 -0.5 of what per word. Cents,pence,dollars,pounds?

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:50
German to English
+ ...
Please don't take this unkindly, May 4, 2011

but as constructive advice.

First of all, it would behoove you to take more care with your writing. There are several grammatical and stylistic errors in just your few sentences here. That would be a first step to getting taken seriously as a translator. Being able to communicate effectively and correctly is critical in this field.

Secondly, rates depend on who your clients are. With a medical specialization, you could command better than average prices in many cases.
... See more
but as constructive advice.

First of all, it would behoove you to take more care with your writing. There are several grammatical and stylistic errors in just your few sentences here. That would be a first step to getting taken seriously as a translator. Being able to communicate effectively and correctly is critical in this field.

Secondly, rates depend on who your clients are. With a medical specialization, you could command better than average prices in many cases. What exactly those rates are would require some research on your part or knowing some translators who are specialized in Medicine who would tell you. I find that there is great reluctance to discuss rates openly here, for understandable - and perhaps some less so - reasons. It is not likely you will get a straight answer to that particular question (I think that based on several years of experience here, but someone may come along and prove me wrong). After all, there are a lot of your potential competitors right here, as well as potential clients.

Thirdly, it would be of great benefit to study this website. It is chock-full of useful information about getting started, lots of how-to tips, marketing strategies, forums discussing all kinds of topics that every translator should know about, etc. etc. A lot of questions you have will be answered that way. Research is an important part of our job - a fact that beginners in the field often don't realize.

Just a few tips to get you started. Good luck!
Collapse

Himach
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 4, 2011

Thank you so very much for your advice,Mr.Woodstock. I truly appreciate your efforts to have given me these tips.I shall try to follow them as far as possible. I hope not to have made anymore grammatical mistakes like before.
Thank you once again,
Hima

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
How I would correct it May 4, 2011

Himach wrote:
Thank you so very much for your advice,Mr.Woodstock. I truly appreciate your efforts to have given me these tips.I shall try to follow them as far as possible. I hope not to have made anymore grammatical mistakes like before.
Thank you once again,
Hima

I think you did make mistakes. Here is what you wrote, with my corrections:
Thank you so very much for your advice, Mr.Woodstock. I truly appreciate your efforts in giving me these tips. I shall try to follow them as far as possible. I hope I have not made any more grammatical mistakes as I did before.

I hope you benefit from this tiny example of proofreading.

Oliver

Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Advice May 5, 2011

If you are German, then you should be translating from English in to German. If you are English, my advice is forget translating as a career. If you are neither German or English, then why have you opted for this language pair?

Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Life's too short and ink is expensive..... May 5, 2011

[/quote]
Thank you so very much for your advice, Mr.Woodstock. I truly appreciate your efforts in giving me these tips. I shall try to follow them as far as possible. I hope I have not made any more grammatical mistakes as I did before.

Oliver
[/quote]

Sounds like an email scam!

What about:

"Many thanks for your advice Mr. Woodstock. I appreciate your
... See more
[/quote]

Oliver
[/quote]

Sounds like an email scam!

What about:

"Many thanks for your advice Mr. Woodstock. I appreciate your tips which I've taken onboard. I'll try to avoid making grammatical errors in the future."
Collapse

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A possibility? May 5, 2011

Dave Greatrix wrote:
If you are neither German or English, then why have you opted for this language pair?

Have you thought of offering German to Kannada translations? If your German is good and your (other) native language is Kannada, then it would seem you would be the only translator in that pair in ProZ. There might not be a steady stream of work, but you could have a nice niche market.

If you added English to Kannada, you could have enough work to satisfy you.

I agree with others that although you are no doubt a native English speaker, to be a translator into English you have to have a very high standard of written English that not all native speakers possess.

Himach
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you once again May 5, 2011

Wow,truly amazing to see the many lovely responses which I have received since I posted my query yesterday.
Many thanks to all of you for all the pieces of advice you have been giving me.
Well,I am neither English nor German. I am an Indian, who was born in Germany and went to school partly in Germany. I work for the NHS now.

As I have had experience in German- English translations before,while helping my mother(who teaches German in India), I though of persuing it now,i
... See more
Wow,truly amazing to see the many lovely responses which I have received since I posted my query yesterday.
Many thanks to all of you for all the pieces of advice you have been giving me.
Well,I am neither English nor German. I am an Indian, who was born in Germany and went to school partly in Germany. I work for the NHS now.

As I have had experience in German- English translations before,while helping my mother(who teaches German in India), I though of persuing it now,if I could.
German-Kannada translation? That would be interesting.I had tried including it my profile while registering myself on ProZ, but it would not let me.I will try doing it again.

Thank you,everbody,once again,

Hima
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the usual rates for German to English?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search