Thread poster: Lidia Maurutto (X)

Lidia Maurutto (X)
Italy
Local time: 07:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 1, 2011

Dear All,

I just joined proz.com and I am now taking my time to get familiar with the website.

I would like to know what's your opinion about the membership. Are you all members? Have your opportunities increased since you became a member?

Thank you for your help, and good translation!

larobi

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Free ProZ.com webinars Jun 1, 2011

Hello larobi,

First of all, welcome to ProZ.com!

Perhaps you would like to attend one of the free webinars on "Meeting client at ProZ.com" that are offered on a weekly basis:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/format/webinar-presentations

Next "Meeting client at ProZ.com" webinar is this Friday, June 3:
... See more
Hello larobi,

First of all, welcome to ProZ.com!

Perhaps you would like to attend one of the free webinars on "Meeting client at ProZ.com" that are offered on a weekly basis:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/format/webinar-presentations

Next "Meeting client at ProZ.com" webinar is this Friday, June 3:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/4987

Also, note that there is another free webinar on "Getting started in translation" that describes the most common reasons for deciding on translation as a profession and the requirements professional translators should meet if they want to succeed in the translation industry (it also explains how ProZ.com can help you with this).

Next free webinar on "Getting started in translation" is next June 8:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/4999

Hope to see you there!

Kind regards,

Lucía
Collapse

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Welcome, Larobi Jun 1, 2011

larobi wrote:

Dear All,

I just joined proz.com and I am now taking my time to get familiar with the website.

I would like to know what's your opinion about the membership. Are you all members? Have your opportunities increased since you became a member?

Thank you for your help, and good translation!

larobi

There are many, many registered users here and a somewhat smaller number (but still a lot) of paying members. I certainly find membership worthwhile, but like most things, it isn't black and white.

I think that if you pay your membership fee and then log onto the site once a week, you'll be disappointed. ProZ.com only gives back as much as you put into it. Because of that, there are some registered users who do very well from the site - they put in a lot of time and effort, sharing their experience (but not paying anything) and they get a lot back. On the other hand, being a paying member gives you a head-start and many advantages and is usually worth it in terms of knowledge base and networking even if not in terms of jobs directly gained through the site. One important thing to bear in mind is that the best jobs come directly to translators through the directory, rather than through job postings. It pays to be high on the list, and members are listed first, although various other factors are also important (see: "my directory ranking" and how to improve it).

Good luck in your career and hope to see more of you here.

Sheila

Rebekka Búadóttir  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:02
Member (2011)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
I recently got full membership Jun 2, 2011

Hi larobi

I got full membership about a month ago and I must say I don't regret it at all. I have just recently started my career as a translator and I think being a full member here has helped me a lot. I have already been contacted by a few Blue Board companies who claimed they found me through the directory, and I never got any contacts before I got membership. So, I would definitely recommend getting a membership here if you are interesting in working as a translator (or if y
... See more
Hi larobi

I got full membership about a month ago and I must say I don't regret it at all. I have just recently started my career as a translator and I think being a full member here has helped me a lot. I have already been contacted by a few Blue Board companies who claimed they found me through the directory, and I never got any contacts before I got membership. So, I would definitely recommend getting a membership here if you are interesting in working as a translator (or if you are one already and need more work).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started. Suggestions on membership, etc

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search