My blog: Getting Started as a Freelance Translator
Thread poster: Stefano Nicola D'Amato

Stefano Nicola D'Amato  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2011

Hello,

I am in the progress of getting established. I decided to create a blog and I invite you to visit it.

http://gettingstartedasafreelancetranslator.wordpress.com/

Although it is very new, I hope to get others to contribute and get some serious discussions going!

Good luck in your endeavors!

Regards.

José Luis de la Torre Nemenz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:28
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
Subscribed Jul 18, 2011

Hi Stefano! I am starting out myself, so I decided to check your blog out. Good luck and have fun!

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for checking out my blog! Jul 18, 2011

Hello José Luis!

Thanks for checking out my blog. Although you and I already know what I am about to write, I will go ahead and explain a little further to give others an idea of how a blog can be useful.

On July 15th (3 days ago), I decided to check out WordPress.com and create a blog. I knew what I wanted to blog about and had a clear focus and target audience, getting started as a freelance translator intended for people who are, you guessed it, just starting out or want to get started in freelance translation.

I was not expecting to have anyone visit my blog for at least several weeks.

On the second day I had two comments!

I replied to those who commented and later José and I tweeted each other a few times via Twitter. As the 140 character-limit is restrictive, we decided to take our conversation to MSN. We chatted for over an hour. José is in México and I am in the US. Although the conversation was translation-focused, we spoke also about Mexican pop singers, our favorite cities in Mexico (coincidentally, happen to be the same), and just about life in general.

Blogging is great!

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Great initiative! Jul 18, 2011

Hi Stefano,

I have subscribed to your blog now since I am always in the search of new tips to help freelance translators with getting started in the translation business.

You may also find some useful information in the free webinar I offer on a monthly basis also on "Getting started in translation", http://www.proz.com/translator-training/format/webinar-presentations

More useful information is also available in the "Translator career path" Wiki article, http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_career_path , and in the "10 strategies to expand your translation business" ten-part series posted in ProZ.com's T.O. Blog, http://blogproz.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Lucia

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Lucia! Jul 18, 2011

Thanks for your response and for subscribing to my blog.

I checked out the links you mentioned in your reply.

Would you mind if I re-posted your reply here on my blog? Or if you don't mind, simply copy and paste it as a reply. I'm sure that others will benefit from the resources you mentioned.

I was going to sign up for your next webinar on July 12th at noon (my local time) but I have a doctor's appointment at that time.

I'll keep my eye out for others.

Or is there a way that I can automatically be notified of the next session?

Thanks again!

Saludos desde la Florida!

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Sure Stefano! Jul 18, 2011

You are welcome to make a post in your blog including the information I provided you with in my last reply here.

Let me know if you need any further details (the specific links to the each blog post in the Translator T.O. blog for instance).

Kind regards,

Lucia

Anna Lycett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
Me too - blog for starting translators Aug 22, 2011

Hello Stefano,
We've already spoken but I thought it would be a good idea to share the fact that I have a blog with a similar focus to your blog.

I write for starting freelance translators too and generally I aim to post once a week (with the exception of this week - personal reasons).

Everyone, please feel free to check mine out too:
http://keychecktranslation.wordpress.com
Thanks!

Anna

Ceri McCabe  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
Italian to English
What a good idea! Sep 6, 2011

Hi Stefano,

just about to subscribe to your blog.

I'm just getting started and as i live in a rather remote part of Italy,
it's great to hear what other new starters are doing.
Will be following with interest.

good night and good luck..

Ceri

xxxEAP2011
United Kingdom
Your blog Sep 6, 2011

Hi Stefano,

Congratulations on your blog! I've just visited it and found your article about Converting PDFs to DOCs very useful!

I am sure it will be helpful for other colleagues, tooicon_smile.gif

Thank you for sharing this idea!

Good luck!

EAP team

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have not been blogging so much lately Sep 6, 2011

Hello,

Thanks for checking out my blog. The idea is to share some experiences and get some dialog flowing.

I haven't been writing too much lately. I am actually in the hospital and had neck surgery this morning (fusion of three discs).
When that heals, in about three months, I have to have the lumbar region done. Another three discs fused.

I am really glad if you are able to get something out of my blog. I honestly thought that that nobody would be interested in what I had to say!

Cheers!

Ceri, where in Italy do you live? My grandparents came from Pomarico, near Matera. I guess that is kind of remote. I've been to the the village several times and love visiting my family there.

Ceri McCabe  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Get well soon! Sep 9, 2011

Hi Stefano,

Sorry to hear you're having health problems-hope you have a speedy and successful recovery.

I live in the Maremma in the south of Tuscany-
Probably not so remote geographically, but apparently one of the lesser populated regions of Italy. As a city girl, it's off the beaten track enough for me!

Actually, I have some friends from the Basilicata...

best regards,
Ceri

Marie Safarovic
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:28
Russian to German
+ ...
I want to read it too :) Jan 22, 2012

Hello!

I just sent you a request to read your blog, please accept iticon_smile.gif

And get well soon, of course!

Marie

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:28
German to English
+ ...
Keep going! Jan 23, 2012

You may want to look at Corinne McKay's blog, http://thoughtsontranslation.com/, although your language pairs are different.

Your enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air. Good luck - and accept my request for access to read your first offerings!

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blog on hold! Jan 27, 2012

Dear readers,

I regret to inform you that for the time being I have to suspend the blog, "Getting Started as a Freelance Translator," that I began in July.

I have had two major spinal surgeries within the last three months and I'm finding it challenging to keep up with the blog. Thus, I am diverting all of my resources to work.

I apologize for this inconvenience and I hope that you will understand. I hope to be able to continue the blog in the near future.

Kind regards,

Stefano D'Amato

Oscar Rivera
Hungary
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get well! Feb 4, 2012

I like to read other people's perspectives and was going to do that with your blog.

I hope you get well soon!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My blog: Getting Started as a Freelance Translator

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search