Which qualification DipTrans vs PPT
Thread poster: Christina Fonthes (X)

Christina Fonthes (X)
Local time: 19:20
French to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2011

Hello
I am in a bit of a predicament please advise if you can.
Earlier this year I applied for the Post Grad Cert in Principals and Practise of Translation (City University http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/principles-and-practice-of-translation) and paid a non-refundable deposit of £500.
After a lot of research and conversati
... See more
Hello
I am in a bit of a predicament please advise if you can.
Earlier this year I applied for the Post Grad Cert in Principals and Practise of Translation (City University http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/principles-and-practice-of-translation) and paid a non-refundable deposit of £500.
After a lot of research and conversations with working translators I’ve realised the qualification gained is not recognised by any official bodies or translation agencies. Needles to say, the DipTrans would be the most beneficial qualification for someone with no experience. So, should I carry on with the PPT as I have already paid the deposit or should I lose £500 and invest in a more practical qualification?
Collapse

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Your choice Aug 10, 2011

The course seems to prepare you for the IoL DipTrans exam anyway, so might be worth continuing, completing the course and then sitting the exam. That way you will have both qualifications and won't have lost your £500.

I am sure that most agencies will consider any PostGrad in translation to be of benefit.

Claudia Brauer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not learning is never an option Aug 10, 2011

Hello, Christina. My point here is, if you have paid for it, take advantage of the learning you have ahead of you. In the translation and interpreting industry "not learning" is never "an option". You have to always be learning. Indeed, I stress that learning about anything and everything is one of the core competencies of any translator or interpreter. You never ever know when the knowledge you have acquired here or there is going to be useful to you in appropriately understanding a subjec... See more
Hello, Christina. My point here is, if you have paid for it, take advantage of the learning you have ahead of you. In the translation and interpreting industry "not learning" is never "an option". You have to always be learning. Indeed, I stress that learning about anything and everything is one of the core competencies of any translator or interpreter. You never ever know when the knowledge you have acquired here or there is going to be useful to you in appropriately understanding a subject you are translating or interpreting, or rendering some sort of unexpected knowledge tool you would otherwise not have. My advise would be different if you had not already made the investment, because at that point it would be relevant to the need to prioritize investments. But since you have already made the investment, immerse yourself in the learning process, and enjoy it to the fullest, being aware that no learning will be lost and that many of the things that you will be learning will nonetheless be very useful in your future as a professional. And this course does prepare you for the test, which would be very difficult to pass if you don't have the training and the experience. So, see it as a favorable situation. Good luck!Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded Aug 10, 2011

Hazel Underwood wrote:
The course seems to prepare you for the IoL DipTrans exam anyway, so might be worth continuing, completing the course and then sitting the exam. That way you will have both qualifications and won't have lost your £500.
I am sure that most agencies will consider any PostGrad in translation to be of benefit.

Exactly my thoughts. The DipTrans is a very exacting exam and unless you prepare very well you might find yourself paying exam fees year after year.

Doing the postgrad makes total sense even if a bit expensive, and has a value of its own. Additionally, it will put you in a better position to pass the DipTrans.

Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Link doesn't seem to work Aug 10, 2011

However, I've just looked at the course and it is their old preparation course for the Dip Trans with a theoretical module added on in the beginning.

Most people need a preparation course to pass the Dip Trans, so I'd say continue.

[Edited at 2011-08-10 15:42 GMT]

Christina Fonthes (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 10, 2011

Ok, thank you all for your constructive replies, PPT it is
I feel a lot more confident now.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"Not recognised" does not equal "useless" Aug 11, 2011

Christina Fonthes wrote:
After a lot of research and conversations with working translators I’ve realised the qualification gained is not recognised by any official bodies or translation agencies.

From my dealings with agencies I would say that a lot of them are interested in the work you produce, rather than which pieces of paper you have. Of course, if you are young and inexperienced, then the best qualification on paper is important, but all study is useful and being aable to apply what you have learned on a non-recognised course will be useful to you.

Christina Fonthes (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Full Proz membership - is it worth it Aug 16, 2011

Of course, if you are young and inexperienced, then the best qualification on paper is important, but all study is useful and being aable to apply what you have learned on a non-recognised course will be useful to you. [/quote]

I totally agree with you Sheila especially now that I know the course is a actually their old DipTrans prep course (thanks Lawyer -Linguist).
I find it interesting that this post has ha
... See more
Of course, if you are young and inexperienced, then the best qualification on paper is important, but all study is useful and being aable to apply what you have learned on a non-recognised course will be useful to you. [/quote]

I totally agree with you Sheila especially now that I know the course is a actually their old DipTrans prep course (thanks Lawyer -Linguist).
I find it interesting that this post has had so many positive responses. When speaking to working translators about this a lot of them completely dismissed the idea of studying translation. The response i got most of the time was " you want to be a translator, then just start translating!" If only it was that easy! I do think there is a generational difference, it seems these days more translators are coming straight from translation courses/degrees; whereas before a standard degree in pretty much any discipline with knowledge of the source and target languages was enough for a translation job. I would be interested in people's thoughts regarding this.

On another note, I received an email from Proz offering me full membership at a discounted price. Given that i have very little experience (hence making me ineligible for the majority of jobs) would this be worth investing in?

Many thanks in advance
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which qualification DipTrans vs PPT

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search