I want to learn how to translate - How do I get started?
Thread poster: rlirwin
Aug 25, 2011

I started to read this manhwa, which in short is a comic produced by the Republic of Korea. But I don't know how to translate it so I was relaying on translators to do it but for whatever reason they stopped and it doesn't look like they will start them back up again. And I really don't want to stop reading it half way through because I love it. So I really want to learn to translate it but I don't know where to begin! Meaning, I don't know if it is Romanization or just korean or where to begin to learn to translate it. Here is a sample so you can see what i am up against.
s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j462/rlirwin91/?action=view¤t=s20-006.jpg

All I am really looking for is some guidance and someone to point me in the right direction.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I looked for the right one and this seemed like the right spot for it. If it isn't though, sorry!

[Edited at 2011-08-26 20:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-26 20:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-26 20:45 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It takes time to understand a language Aug 26, 2011

Hello and welcome to ProZ.com.

Firstly I have to say that you wouldn't be able to do it yourself without a lot of time spent studying the language. You aren't looking for work translating, so you wouldn't need the same level in the source language as translators do, nor would you need translation techniques. However, you would need a good basic grasp of the language before you could hope to translate from it.

It sounds to me as though this doesn't belong in a forum at all. You need to either post a job or contact appropriate translators from the directory (see the "jobs and directories" tab for both). Professional translators here will then give you a quote.

If you can't/won't pay the going rate for a professional translator then you are left with trying to find a comprehensible machine translation (which may not exist in this pair - I really don't know) or getting someone to do it "for fun". Perhaps Facebook would be the place to look. Please don't try to use ProZ.com forums as a means to obtain a free or nearly-free translation. (I'm not suggesting you are doing that - it's just that it might be possible)

Sheila


Direct link Reply with quote
 
rlirwin
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstood meaning Aug 26, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Hello and welcome to ProZ.com.

Firstly I have to say that you wouldn't be able to do it yourself without a lot of time spent studying the language. You aren't looking for work translating, so you wouldn't need the same level in the source language as translators do, nor would you need translation techniques. However, you would need a good basic grasp of the language before you could hope to translate from it.

It sounds to me as though this doesn't belong in a forum at all. You need to either post a job or contact appropriate translators from the directory (see the "jobs and directories" tab for both). Professional translators here will then give you a quote.

If you can't/won't pay the going rate for a professional translator then you are left with trying to find a comprehensible machine translation (which may not exist in this pair - I really don't know) or getting someone to do it "for fun". Perhaps Facebook would be the place to look. Please don't try to use ProZ.com forums as a means to obtain a free or nearly-free translation. (I'm not suggesting you are doing that - it's just that it might be possible)

Sheila


I thought my point was clear, but i guess not. I wasn't looking for a free translation. I wasn't looking for a translation at all. That's why i never mentioned getting a translation. If I was, I wouldn't have posted only one page when there are over 400 left to be translated and this is a random page at that, it's the sixth page of the 20th chapter. The picture was just so you knew what I was trying to translate and because I wanted to know exactly what I had to learn. And yes I understand it would take time. I am not expecting to learn it in a few days or weeks. But your reply just makes me feel like you are telling me I can't learn to translate it and any effort would be useless. That I am just wasting my time.

But all I wanted to know was what would be the best method to go about learning to translate it myself in the quickest amount of time.

[Edited at 2011-08-26 20:03 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Learn Korean Aug 26, 2011

In order to translate it you first need to understand it. To understand it you will need to learn Korean. You can ask questions about learning Korean and other languages at this site:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/default.asp


Direct link Reply with quote
 

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:29
English to French
+ ...
Learn Korean (bis) Aug 27, 2011

If you just want to be able to read and understand a Korean book for yourself you don't need to learn "how to translate".

Just learn Korean and you will be able to read the book in it's original language.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 06:29
Japanese to English
What nordiste said Aug 27, 2011

Learn to read Korean and you'll be able to read the story in the original language. Korean is said to be difficult, but the phonetic characters (hangul) are apparently easy to learn to read and look up. With about a year's study and a good dictionary, you might be able to make a real go of it.

Good luck!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lyandra
United States
Local time: 02:29
French to English
+ ...
It's true, learning Korean phonetics isn't that hard. Aug 28, 2011

TransAfrique wrote:

Learn to read Korean and you'll be able to read the story in the original language. Korean is said to be difficult, but the phonetic characters (hangul) are apparently easy to learn to read and look up. With about a year's study and a good dictionary, you might be able to make a real go of it.

Good luck!


I found this guy on YouTube to be really helpful when I was learning it:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=djB05a4ntQ4

Plus, one of the bonuses of learning a language from a comic book is that you will have a lot of visual clues to help you with the vocab. Add that to that the fact that the words are usually pretty simple and oft-repeated, and you're guaranteed to be translating within a year. I've successfully taught several dyslexic students to read in this way, and I know a number of kids that have learned Japanese from reading manga.

If you use craigslist or meetup.com to get a language partner (after you've gotten the basics down, or it will be too frustrating), then you'll probably be able to do a decent job of translating it, with backup from Google, after about 6-months of study.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

[Edited at 2011-08-28 22:46 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 06:29
Japanese to English
Really. Aug 29, 2011

I found manga pretty challenging when I was learning Japanese, simply because the shounen series I like to read tend to use a lot of slang, informal expressions and unusual verb endings (しゃーねぇーinstead of しょうがない, for example) that didn't appear in the dictionary. My hat's off to anyone who managed to learn Japanese from manga regardless.

Well, rlirwin, you heard them. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lyandra
United States
Local time: 02:29
French to English
+ ...
Re: Really Aug 30, 2011

Well, they also watched a lot of anime and went to karaoke... I don't know hat the difficulty level of their books were compared to yours, but they learned enough to keep reading. (For the one week that I tried learning Japanese, I really enjoyed using this book http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Manga-Way-Illustrated-Structure/dp/1880656906 .)

Anyway, the point is, that when learning a new language, do it in a way that's fun and interesting for you. And DON'T GIVE UP! Set yourself a goal to read at least 10 minutes everyday, no matter how tired or busy you are, and stick to it. After a couple of weeks, those 1o minutes will be a breeze. If you can keep at it for 30 minutes, even better. Then your brain will start shifting into autopilot, and things will suddenly seem much easier to understand--especially when you stop trying to understand every word.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 15:29
Japanese to English
Enjoy learning, but don't confuse the "tree" for the "forest"... Aug 30, 2011

Lyandra wrote:
Anyway, the point is, that when learning a new language, do it in a way that's fun and interesting for you...


"Fun and interesting" is fine, but don’t expect to be understood if you go around speaking like some manga character!

So, rlirwin, just be aware that the Korean you learn from a manhwa has a very specific context that you cannot really use in daily conversation or in formal settings(unless, of course, that manhwa is written for the express purpose of teaching such language).

With that in mind, good luck on your language journey!!!

MGrant


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want to learn how to translate - How do I get started?

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search