AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 21:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 5, 2002

Hello everybody,

Since several years I am translating scientific and medical texts on a freelance basis. I do not have a translation degree but \'only\' a medical background. I always try to work in a very serious way but I feel/think yhat I do miss out jobs because I have no \'real\' translation degree.

A lot of organisations (ex ATA) organise exams which can lead to an accreditation.

My question to you was if it is worthwhile to attend one or several
... See more
Hello everybody,

Since several years I am translating scientific and medical texts on a freelance basis. I do not have a translation degree but \'only\' a medical background. I always try to work in a very serious way but I feel/think yhat I do miss out jobs because I have no \'real\' translation degree.

A lot of organisations (ex ATA) organise exams which can lead to an accreditation.

My question to you was if it is worthwhile to attend one or several exams.

Thanks in advance for your reaction.
Collapse

EMatt
EMatt  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:23
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Accreditation Apr 5, 2002

In the U.S. a lot of agencies are looking for accredited translators. You don\'t need a translation degree. Your professional experience is much more important and useful.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Accreditation Apr 5, 2002

Accreditation serves many purposes, but it is up to each individual to decide.

• Accreditation is a good way to show off your skills to potential clients - especially if you don\'t have a degree or diploma in T&I.

• E.Mat is right: many agencies (and direct clients) actively seek out accredited translators these days.

• In addition to the above, accreditation shows that you are committed to our profession and ... See more
Accreditation serves many purposes, but it is up to each individual to decide.

• Accreditation is a good way to show off your skills to potential clients - especially if you don\'t have a degree or diploma in T&I.

• E.Mat is right: many agencies (and direct clients) actively seek out accredited translators these days.

• In addition to the above, accreditation shows that you are committed to our profession and that you subscribe to rules of professional and ethical standards - also an important marketing tool in this \"overcrowded\" market.

Collapse

Frank Johnson
Frank Johnson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Accreditation can mean more work Apr 6, 2002

I have been accredited by the ATA for nine months. In that time, I have had several clients come to me after looking for accredited translators on the ATA website. I have also had agencies choose me for a job after a client specifically requested an accredited translator. It may not work out this way for everyone, but ATA accreditation has meant money in the bank for me.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Consensus seems to be that it is worthwhile Apr 6, 2002

This topic has been raised several times in the past. I have seen mixed reports on whether or not the accreditation results in more jobs (it depends on how you present it, I suppose), but the consensus seems to be that it is worth doing.

There are many reasons to pursue accreditation, and apart from the fee, few reasons not to. It is just another tool you can use to market yourself and justify proper rates.

If you get accredited by any major organization
... See more
This topic has been raised several times in the past. I have seen mixed reports on whether or not the accreditation results in more jobs (it depends on how you present it, I suppose), but the consensus seems to be that it is worth doing.

There are many reasons to pursue accreditation, and apart from the fee, few reasons not to. It is just another tool you can use to market yourself and justify proper rates.

If you get accredited by any major organization, be sure to report that accreditation to ProZ.com. Once we have verified the credential, we will keep the information on file for you permanently. Most associations, the ATA included, will make your credential available only if you continue to pay yearly membership dues.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

accreditations: what is their value?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »