https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/206897-how_do_i_know_that_i_got_the_job_or_not.html

How do I know that I got the job or not?
Thread poster: Cassius Duwin
Cassius Duwin
Cassius Duwin  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 18:06
Malay to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2011

Hello and greetings!

I'm a newbie in here. I'm a freelance translator. I just joined proZ.com as a registered member recently and been busy browsing around learning, looking for job opportunities and get information on what proZ.com offer.

Recently I have tried to apply for some jobs that met my criteria. I have submitted my quotation for each job and got an e-mail reply telling me that my quote have been received. However, until now I haven't received any news about my
... See more
Hello and greetings!

I'm a newbie in here. I'm a freelance translator. I just joined proZ.com as a registered member recently and been busy browsing around learning, looking for job opportunities and get information on what proZ.com offer.

Recently I have tried to apply for some jobs that met my criteria. I have submitted my quotation for each job and got an e-mail reply telling me that my quote have been received. However, until now I haven't received any news about my applications.

How can I know whether I got the job or not? How long normally does it takes for a job poster to notify their prospective translators about the outcome of their applications?

Forgive me for this newbie questions.

Regards,

Kaszhero @ Cassius
Collapse

Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:06
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Pretty soon after the application Sep 5, 2011

I'd say that you know pretty soon after your application (depending on the job). The jobs posted here often have quite tight deadlines and in my experience they decide pretty quickly which translator to go with. If I haven't heard back within a few hours, I generally assume I did not get it.

In saying that, I sometimes hear back from someone days after my application, so it's not set in stone. Some agencies take their time to say that you were unsuccessful and others don't.
<
... See more
I'd say that you know pretty soon after your application (depending on the job). The jobs posted here often have quite tight deadlines and in my experience they decide pretty quickly which translator to go with. If I haven't heard back within a few hours, I generally assume I did not get it.

In saying that, I sometimes hear back from someone days after my application, so it's not set in stone. Some agencies take their time to say that you were unsuccessful and others don't.

Good luck with it!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Never Sep 5, 2011

I usually never hear anything.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No way of knowing Sep 5, 2011

kaszhero wrote:

How can I know whether I got the job or not? How long normally does it takes for a job poster to notify their prospective translators about the outcome of their applications?

Kaszhero @ Cassius

You may never find out. Unfortunately not all agencies or potential clients advertising on proz (or anywhere else) are not so considerate and polite as we would like them to be.

I usually consider myself lucky if I even get an acknowledgement of my email application. Most jobs have several translators chasing them, so the agencies or clients often simply don't bother notifying all the unsuccessful applicants, only the one who has got the job. It's understandable in the circumstances. My advice is not to count on getting any work through websites and try to find clients in as many alternative ways as you can.

Happy hunting!

[Edited at 2011-09-05 07:10 GMT]

Cassius Duwin
Malaysia
Malay to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 5, 2011

Greeting Ditte Duclert!

Thanks for the reply. I can assumed now that I didn't get the job since it has been a week now after I was notified that my quotes have been received.

Will be keep looking for other opportunities!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Sep 5, 2011

Ditte Duclert wrote:
If I haven't heard back within a few hours, I generally assume I did not get it.

Good luck with it!

Exactly, if I get no reply the same day, I just forget it and move on....

Cassius Duwin
Malaysia
Malay to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 5, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

I usually never hear anything.

Thank you Tom.

neilmac wrote:

My advice is not to count on getting any work through websites and try to find clients in as many alternative ways as you can.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Profile Sep 5, 2011

Kas - the best way to find work through Proz is to ensure your profile is 100% complete and that your calendar is visible and up to date. In particular I would say it's important to provide some examples of your translation work, in the "portfolio" section of your profile.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Most don't reply Sep 5, 2011

Hello,

Your posting prompted me to look through the few jobs I've quoted for using the ProZ.com system - bearing in mind that many job posters prefer replies to an email address. Out of 100 quotes over 5 years, only 20% received a reply (accept or decline). I did actually receive a direct email from some others, often resulting in acceptance, but I can't check them easily and I know many went unanswered, as did many of the quotes I sent directly to email addresses.

In a
... See more
Hello,

Your posting prompted me to look through the few jobs I've quoted for using the ProZ.com system - bearing in mind that many job posters prefer replies to an email address. Out of 100 quotes over 5 years, only 20% received a reply (accept or decline). I did actually receive a direct email from some others, often resulting in acceptance, but I can't check them easily and I know many went unanswered, as did many of the quotes I sent directly to email addresses.

In an ideal world there would be a 100% response rate. After all, these were requests for quotes, not unsolicited applications. Still, that's the way it is nowadays, and I know they do get flooded with applications in my pair.

As has already been said, you usually get a very prompt response. For a very good reason: clients don't often post jobs on the job board unless they are desperate. A good agency will contact all their associates first and only resort to the job board as a last resort. Poor agencies will post more frequently - so look very carefully at their Blue Board record and research them via any other means possible. Direct clients will sometimes post jobs, but often they have a totally unrealistic budget.

So, don't count on earning your living quoting for posted jobs. You are doing everything right to get jobs through ProZ.com that are never posted. If you look at the directory, you will see that you are already on page 2, thanks to paying for membership. If you follow the advice for improving your directory ranking (on the same drop-down menu), particularly by continuing to answer KudoZ questions and gaining some points, then I'm sure clients will start to contact you directly.

Of course, you shouldn't rely on ProZ.com. You absolutely have to be pro-active and go out (both on the web and in person) to make sure prospective clients know you are there.

Sheila

P.S. your CV gives the impression that you are only available in the evenings and at weekends. If you are full-time then you may want to change that.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Rarely Sep 5, 2011

In my experience with Proz-posted jobs, one rarely gets a reply unless one is awarded the job, in which case the reply comes quickly.
Most applications are not even acknowledged. Dispiriting at first, but one gets used to it.
I would never assume I'd got a job until it had been confirmed, preferably with a purchase order and full contact details. Don't turn down other offers because of an unacknowledged job application or enquiry.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Martina Pokupec (X)
Martina Pokupec (X)  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hi Sep 5, 2011

Sheila gave you some excellent advice!

Also, be active through Proz.com (Kudoz, forums...) sometimes you might get a job from one of your colleagues..

There is a very very useful webinar on Proz: "Meeting clients on Proz" where you will get guidance and help with your profile and ways in which you can make yourself more visible and attractive to potential clients.

Do not forget: when offered a job, always ask for a purchase order, always look at the agency'
... See more
Sheila gave you some excellent advice!

Also, be active through Proz.com (Kudoz, forums...) sometimes you might get a job from one of your colleagues..

There is a very very useful webinar on Proz: "Meeting clients on Proz" where you will get guidance and help with your profile and ways in which you can make yourself more visible and attractive to potential clients.

Do not forget: when offered a job, always ask for a purchase order, always look at the agency's Blue Board record, browse for the agency on the Internet, see that the person you are replying to has the same e-mail domain as the agency they claim to represent, do not accept large payment upfront (please browse the Internet and Proz postings to get familiarised with ways in which some people "pretend" to be agencies or clients and then launder money or steal your translation...).

When first working for clients online expect not to get large jobs, usually (300 - 1000 words).

Hope this helps!

Happy client hunting!
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Outsourcers' options regarding job quotes Sep 5, 2011

Hello all,

Please note that, in general, outsourcers will review all the quotes they receive for a job and that this review process may take a couple of days, depending on the deadline for the project.

Now, when outsourcers review quotes, they are given the option to send a note to language service providers who quoted on the job saying "No Action Yet", "No Thank You" or "Accept". However, this is just an option, meaning that outsourcers are not re
... See more
Hello all,

Please note that, in general, outsourcers will review all the quotes they receive for a job and that this review process may take a couple of days, depending on the deadline for the project.

Now, when outsourcers review quotes, they are given the option to send a note to language service providers who quoted on the job saying "No Action Yet", "No Thank You" or "Accept". However, this is just an option, meaning that outsourcers are not required to chose any option, in which case you would not receive any notification on whether you were chosen for the project or not.

In any case, you should know that the main channel to get jobs at ProZ.com are direct searches outsourcers conduct in the directory.

With this in mind, there are a few easy things you can do to make sure potential clients searching the directory for language professionals see you, and that once they see you, that they remain interested. These few things are what, at ProZ.com, are called winning strategies. ProZ.com winning strategies include:

1. A good profile, as your profile serves as your business card and directory listing, and it is the first impression of you that colleagues and potential clients will have when they find you at ProZ.com and when running web searches.

2. Membership, as members are ranked ahead of non-members in the directory of freelancers and interpreters, http://www.proz.com/translator-directory/ , and are then more visible in searches. Visit this page to check your current directory ranking.

3. KudoZ PRO points in your language pairs and fields of expertise, as this is how directory search results are ranked among the first group (members) and the second group (non-members). A few minutes of effort, a few times a month, may be all that is needed to boost your position in the freelancer directory.

4. Specialization. Let potential clients know what your fields of expertise are by listing fields in your profile in order --your specialty fields must be ordered accordingly, earning KudoZ points in those fields and in your top language pair, providing details in your "About me", etc. More tips on how to show your specialization are available here.

5. PRO status, as becoming a certified PRO will allow you to network and collaborate in an environment consisting entirely of screened professionals, including companies seeking the services of certified PROs only. (it is extremely important though that all previous strategies are put into use, and that all required information is gathered, before applying for inclusion into the Certified PRO Network).

For more information on ProZ.com winning strategies, just visit http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/ProZ.com_winning_strategies

Or else, watch this short video:

http://www.proz.com/videos/tutorials%20on%20proz.com/607

Finally, I invite you all to attend the upcoming "ProZ.com site guidance virtual event" that will take place as part of the 
"2011 ProZ.com virtual conference week" (September 26 - 30) to learn how to get the most out of ProZ.com:

http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/group/2

Hope to see you all there!

(And sorry for the looooooong post).

Kind regards,

Lucía
Collapse

Cassius Duwin
Malaysia
Malay to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the warm replies! Sep 5, 2011

Dear everyone!

Thank you for all the replies. I'm really being enlighten by all advises that you guys gave. You guys are my gurus!

And to Lucía, thank you for the long but meaningful tips that you shared. I believe it's not only benefiting me but everyone else too.

I'll try my best to learn and follow what you guys shared here.

Kaszhero @ Cassius

[Edited at 2011-09-05 14:26 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Sometimes much later Sep 5, 2011

In order to provide you the complete picture, sometimes you get the job much later.

Of course you have no idea on what's going on at the outsourcer. Sometimes they, or even their end-client, have several options, try some of them, sadly find out that none will work, so they eventually will contact you again. Sometimes they make a bad choice and, upon their return to square one, decide to hire you.

It's quite common to have a client contacting me months - sometimes more
... See more
In order to provide you the complete picture, sometimes you get the job much later.

Of course you have no idea on what's going on at the outsourcer. Sometimes they, or even their end-client, have several options, try some of them, sadly find out that none will work, so they eventually will contact you again. Sometimes they make a bad choice and, upon their return to square one, decide to hire you.

It's quite common to have a client contacting me months - sometimes more than a year - later asking, "Do you remember me?". I usually don't, but this doesn't prevent me from taking the order.

Bottom line is that you shouldn't stay awake after placing a bid, nor turn down any other firm order just because you bid on another job. First come (with an order, not a potential job offer), first served.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I know that I got the job or not?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »