Forming a Study Group in NYC--SP, EN, FR
Thread poster: Lyandra

Lyandra
United States
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2011

I plan to apply to an interpretation/translation school next year. Before that, however, I'd like to improve my vocabulary and grammar. I'm looking for a serious partner, or group of people willing to meet regularly to study together. My proposed format would be 15-20 minutes of conversation as a warm up, followed by 30 minutes of study of a short video/podcast/reading in the target language. The study would include talking about the concepts, relevant grammar structures, and key vocabulary. Then we would read a similar short article in the source language, translate it individually, and compare. I imagine this section will take more than an hour, but, I believe most people don't want to have homework, and would like to have a finished, corrected, product the same day.

We would alternate the language pairs used for each meeting--unless there was a large enough group for people to choose which language they wanted to work on for that week.

Please message me if you are interested. Also please post comments here if you have any advice on the running of the group. Thanks!

Lyandra
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Website Sep 25, 2011

This seemed to be the easiest way to form the group. If you're in New york, please join for study and networking opportunities! http://www.meetup.com/Translation-Study-Group/

Lyandra
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conversation with a United Nations' Translator Dec 12, 2011

As the founder of "The Translation Study Group" on Meetup.com, I'm proud to be able to offer a very special December workshop for all those looking to make a career of their love of languages: "Conversation with a U.N. Translator." This is the perfect opportunity to learn how to get your foot in the door of a very prestigious organization and to meet with other professional translators and interpreters!

The event is free and will take place this Wednesday, December 14th, at 6:30pm in midtown Manhattan, New York. There will be a 90-minute presentation followed by a question and answer session.

Please R.S.V.P. at http://www.meetup.com/Translation-Study-Group/

Lyandra
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
February Workshop: What We Can Learn from Great Translators Feb 9, 2012

One of the biggest concerns voiced during January's workshop on the future of the translation and interpretation industry was that translation jobs would dwindle in the future or continue to be poorly paid because many people do not value good translations. This month's workshop is an answer to that concern.

Using Edith Grossman's book, "Why Translation Matters," we will examine our profession from a historical, social, political, and economic point of view to find the arguments we need to increase our profile and our prestige in the marketplace--and our fees!

Reading Ms. Grossman's book is not a requirement to come to the workshop, however, I strongly recommend it. She is an award-winning translator and she's a New Yorker. You may have a chance to run into her sometime and it would be good for you to be familiar with her work as you mingle with other literary translators in New York. I also recommend reading "Is that a Fish in Your Ear?" by David Bellos for another take on the theme of the difficulty of translating.

I will give a formal presentation but I hope you will also come prepared to discuss your own experiences and, perhaps, to discuss some books by other famous translators that you have read and recommend for us to learn from.

The event will take place in midtown Manhattan on Sunday, February 12th, from 6:30-8:30.

Please RSVP so I can know how many handouts to prepare.
http://www.meetup.com/Translation-Study-Group/events/50054722/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forming a Study Group in NYC--SP, EN, FR

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search