Thread poster: Luke Mersh

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:10
Spanish to English
Sep 11, 2011

Hi there everybody.

I am a DPSI student studying healthcare in the pairs of EN>ES ES>EN

I have done voluntary translations for the UN-CRIN .

I am wishing to know peoples advice on the following matter.

I am wanting to get started as a translator in EN>ES and ES>EN in healthcare field,
I am thinking about creating a website to get some work and was also wondering whether it would be worth it to become a member of this site and whether it would bring me some work.

I am fluent in both written and oral Spanish as I was educated there up to Bachillerato level.

I would like to know what other would suggest to me or what advice they can offer me.

all advice is well received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Martina Pokupec  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 04:10
English to Croatian
+ ...
join Sep 11, 2011

Hi,

I suggest you join Proz. I've been a member for less than a year and have established good business relationships.
My advice is to stick to the language you are really good at, and to the specialty you are good at (healthcare). As a paying member, you can also get excellent advice on setting up your profile from Proz staff.

Good luck!

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advice needed- feedback wanted Sep 11, 2011

hi there
thank you very much for your advice, as i stated i am studying interpreting, but i would like to do some small translation jobs for people.
My current plan is to complete me DPSI this year and then next year do the DIPTRANS in the same language pair.

As I have said my speciality will be healthcare in English>Spanish and Spanish to English.

How would i go about getting some clients and work.

regards

Martina Pokupec  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 04:10
English to Croatian
+ ...
getting clients Sep 12, 2011

As I see it, Proz is all about making your translator's profile work for you and for your specialty. By becoming a paying member, answering Kudoz questions in your specialties and applying to jobs through the system, you are slowly creating business acquaintances and partnerships that may lead to clients and agencies hiring you for their translation project.
In the beginning, the projects are small, but are a way of getting established and getting a positive feedback on your profile page. (The majority of clients contact the translators directly after reviewing their profile.
Firstly, try to contact "support" at the bottom of this page for more detailed info on how to create an effective profile, even if you are not willing to become a paying member yet. Proz staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
Of course, there is no guarantee that you will actually get hired, but Proz is the perfect place for you to try.

I hope this helps.

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advice needed- feedback wanted Sep 12, 2011

thanks for that Martina.
I definitely will become a proper member later.
At present I have updated my profile and stated what I can do.

Yes small projects would be a good start for me and i will look into answering peoples kudoZ questions.
regards
luke

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed- feedback wanted

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search