Thread poster: Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 9, 2011

Dear colleagues:

In this days I have to sign my first "non-disclosure agreement" with a translation agency. I also have been sent a questionnaire in which, among other piece of info, I must specify whether I will work with them as a freelance or an outsource translator. The point is: regarding the fact that I'm not going to register myself as a freelancer (not by now), what should I tick?

I would appreciate a reasoned answer. Thanks a lot in advanced.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Member (2009)
French to English
Need more information Nov 9, 2011

Isabel,

In the U.S., I think this distinction is meaningless. Let us know which country you are in so that someone in that country can give you better advice. If you are in the U.S., it may be a quirk of the country in which the agency is located.

Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 9, 2011

You're right Jenn. I should have mentioned the country.
It is an agency located in the UK.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Austrian rules? Nov 9, 2011

Isabel M. wrote:
I'm not going to register myself as a freelancer

Where does that leave you? I don't know how things work in Austria, but I know that in France you have to register as something to be able to present an invoice and act within the law (not that that ever stopped some people, but that's another story!). However, in the UK, you don't have to do anything much apart from pay up a part of your income to the state.

On the other hand, like Jenn, I'm unsure about any difference between a freelancer and an outsource translator. Please let us know more about this, if you can.

Sheila

Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
British rules Nov 9, 2011

I am from Spain, and I will register as a freelance translator there (which cost around 200€/month) as soon as I have, at least, my first client.

Unfortunately, Spanish government gives no an opportunity to young people to start with our professional careers, even less if they pretend to be freelance (as I would like).

Obviously I would like to act within the law since the very beginning, but I have just finished my degree, I have almost no experience, and I don't k
... See more
I am from Spain, and I will register as a freelance translator there (which cost around 200€/month) as soon as I have, at least, my first client.

Unfortunately, Spanish government gives no an opportunity to young people to start with our professional careers, even less if they pretend to be freelance (as I would like).

Obviously I would like to act within the law since the very beginning, but I have just finished my degree, I have almost no experience, and I don't know if I will reach to become a professional translator (I mean, working as a translator) so, by now, I can't afford paying 200€/month JUST IN CASE I get a job as a translator. I think all these is more than comprenhensible.

Anyway, regarding to my question, I have just asked the agency. I will let you know as soon as I get the answer. Thank you very much.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Possible meaning Nov 9, 2011

I have tried to find a disctinction between these two terms - without success. Indeed, one website called freelance.something or other lists several jobs for outsource translators.

You haven't given us the actual sentence but if it reads something like: "Are you applying to work for us as a freelancer or outsource translator" it could just be clarifying what it means by freelancer. In other words, they could be synonymous.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:21
Chinese to English
Could mean are you a person (freelancer) or a company (outsource) Nov 10, 2011

I've seen this question asked a couple of times. The point being, are you going to do all the work yourself, and are you an individual or a company.

If that's what they mean, your answer should be "freelancer".

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Typo? In the title: "outsourcer", in the body of the text "outsource" Nov 10, 2011

The title of the thread is "Freelancer or Outsourcer", so I just assume the "outsource" in the body of the posting is a typo.
In this case they want to know whether you yourself would be doing the translations (freelancer), or you would be outsourcing it to someone else (outsourcer).
They probably want to know this for the purposes of NDAs and liability (insurance).
Katalin

Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Nov 10, 2011

Thank you for you interesting answers, I hadn't though about so many possible explanations. The problem with the terms is that no context is given: they just asked me to tick any option.
Anyway, we will soon clear up our doubts. I have already asked the agency.
Thanks again for you contributions!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:21
English to French
Off topic Nov 10, 2011

Isabel M. wrote:
...Obviously I would like to act within the law since the very beginning, but I have just finished my degree, I have almost no experience, and I don't know if I will reach to become a professional translator (I mean, working as a translator) so, by now, I can't afford paying 200€/month JUST IN CASE I get a job as a translator. I think all these is more than comprenhensible...

Just to be more specific, 282 euros/month seems to be the lowest amount to pay for compulsory healthcare (and minimum state pension?) contributions as a freelancer in Spain (autonomo). At least this is what I am currently paying.

Best of luck,
Philippe

Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off topic Nov 10, 2011

So that's more in favour of me.
It is a completely shame that a government favours to acting against of the law, instead of doing it the other way round. It is obvious that anybody can afford at the beginning such an amount of money, and the only thing they are doing is forcing people to act against the law (at least until they get a job stability). That is not only a disadvantage for government, but also for people who would like to obtain a pension when retired.
Thanks a lot for y
... See more
So that's more in favour of me.
It is a completely shame that a government favours to acting against of the law, instead of doing it the other way round. It is obvious that anybody can afford at the beginning such an amount of money, and the only thing they are doing is forcing people to act against the law (at least until they get a job stability). That is not only a disadvantage for government, but also for people who would like to obtain a pension when retired.
Thanks a lot for your info, Philippe.
Collapse

Claudio LR
Claudio LR
Local time: 00:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Curious about the Spanish system... Nov 10, 2011

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Just to be more specific, 282 euros/month seems to be the lowest amount to pay for compulsory healthcare (and minimum state pension?) contributions as a freelancer in Spain (autonomo). At least this is what I am currently paying.

Best of luck,
Philippe

More that 3300 EUR per year seems a very high amount of money as a “minimum” in case of a low income. I would be curious to know up to what income this minimum amount does not change? And how about people not working? Aren't they covered for healthcare? Here in Switzerland for instance healthcare is disconnected from income and you pay at least the equivalent of 2000 EUR per year anyway. Also there is a minimum to pay for pension whether you work or not...

Ernesto Bernal Arencibia
Ernesto Bernal Arencibia  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
Off-topic Nov 10, 2011

Hello Isabel,

At the beginning of your career, it is possible to act within the law and avoid paying the compulsory healthcare fees.

In any case, there are several conditions in order to be able to do this. First, you have to be registered in the Tax Agency in order to present a legit invoice and, second, your income should not be higher than the minimum wage established by the government.

Here you can find
... See more
Hello Isabel,

At the beginning of your career, it is possible to act within the law and avoid paying the compulsory healthcare fees.

In any case, there are several conditions in order to be able to do this. First, you have to be registered in the Tax Agency in order to present a legit invoice and, second, your income should not be higher than the minimum wage established by the government.

Here you can find more information about this:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/116114-facturar_sin_ser_autonoma.html#950993

Regards,
Ernesto
Collapse

Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off topic Nov 10, 2011

Hello Ernesto,

thank you very much for such an useful post!
Nevertheless, I have still a question: given that my potential client is from the UK and, according to all posts I have just read, I don't have to include either IVA or IRPF in the bill, what should I then declare to the Spanish Tax Agency?

Kind regards,

Isabel

Isabel Martos
Isabel Martos
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off topic Nov 10, 2011

Claudio LR wrote:

More that 3300 EUR per year seems a very high amount of money as a “minimum” in case of a low income. I would be curious to know up to what income this minimum amount does not change? And how about people not working? Aren't they covered for healthcare? Here in Switzerland for instance healthcare is disconnected from income and you pay at least the equivalent of 2000 EUR per year anyway. Also there is a minimum to pay for pension whether you work or not...

Hello Claudio,

I'm so sorry not to being able to give you a specific answer... there are so many exceptions depending on what kind of worker you are, that I don't really know which one match which one.

Anyway, I know that if you are an employee, you pay to public healthcare system through an amount of money that it is automatically discounted from your loan; from that loan it is also discounted the money belonging to what will be your pension.

However, if you are a freelancer, you have to pay for public healthcare system but I think you don't have a "state deposit" for your pension, that is, you have to save money for your pension. I don't really know where that amount of 282 €/month goes...

I hope somebody can broathen information.

Kind regards,

Isabel

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer or Outsourcer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »