Less demanded languages - how to market oneself
Thread poster: vorloff
vorloff
vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
May 14, 2004

I am a native English translator working from Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian into English. I have been working for the translation department of an international organization for the past few years, and am now switching to freelancing. Do any of you have any advice about how to market my services, considering that many agencies have never had a project for these languages (so simply sending mass mailings might be a waste of time). I would appreciate any advice you might have, especially related to cli... See more
I am a native English translator working from Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian into English. I have been working for the translation department of an international organization for the past few years, and am now switching to freelancing. Do any of you have any advice about how to market my services, considering that many agencies have never had a project for these languages (so simply sending mass mailings might be a waste of time). I would appreciate any advice you might have, especially related to clients who specifically have a need for native English translators, as opposed to those simply looking for the lowest rates/bids.

Thanks in advance!!
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:54
English to German
+ ...
Embassies May 16, 2004

There should be embassies even for the smallest countries. Their own demand may be little, but they will know companies being active in that language direction.

Another approach: Google in connection with imagination seems to be an inexhaustible ressource.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:54
English to French
+ ...
Tourist offices and Chambers of COmmerce in Eastern Europe, Records companies ... May 16, 2004

Hi,

Have you tried and contacted tourist agencies and Chambers of Commerce in these countries ? Some of them are so called "candidates" for the European Union and do more and more commercial exchanges with EU.
Another idea : music and record companies - we just had the Eurovision song contest yeasterday , and a Serbian singer almost wan (he finish second)! May be he just wants to promote his CD in Western Europe !

vorloff
vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas! May 16, 2004

I will contact the Chambers of Commerce for the countries, and embassies in the US. Croatia has a Ministry for European integration, but Croatian residence is a requirement to work for them unfortunately. So, off I go to Google....Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Less demanded languages - how to market oneself

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »