https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/2136-professional_development_days_for_translators_in_canada_worth_it.html

Professional Development Days for translators in Canada - worth it?
Thread poster: Laura Sa
Laura Sa
Laura Sa
Local time: 17:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 10, 2002

I have been working on marketing myself and getting established as a freelancer in Canada. As most of you know, at the beginning things are not as easy as we would like it to be. I would appreciate any suggestions from my colleagues, in particular, sharing your experiences from when you started out and to let me know if it is valuable to participate in the Professional Development Meetings that our local Associations organize periodically.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:11
SITE FOUNDER
we'll be at the one to be held on April 20 in Toronto Apr 10, 2002

I have never been to one before, but we will be there on the 20th of this month. If you do decide to go, please stop by and say hello. TRADOS will be there, too.

PaulaMac (X)
PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
Hi Laura Apr 13, 2002

I see from your CV that you\'re certified (CTIC) and belong to ATIO. First, it\'s a good idea to attend association meetings and get-togethers to meet other translators. I know if I\'m asked about translations in language combinations other than my own, I always give the names of certified translators (only!) and of course, will be more likely to recommend someone I\'ve met. Also, have you called the federal Translation Bureau and asked about being entered in their inventory? I don\'t know i... See more
I see from your CV that you\'re certified (CTIC) and belong to ATIO. First, it\'s a good idea to attend association meetings and get-togethers to meet other translators. I know if I\'m asked about translations in language combinations other than my own, I always give the names of certified translators (only!) and of course, will be more likely to recommend someone I\'ve met. Also, have you called the federal Translation Bureau and asked about being entered in their inventory? I don\'t know if the work is as steady as it is for official languages, but it\'s worth exploring. Meanwhile, I\'ll keep your name on file - we don\'t have an English - Portuguese member in Alberta.

Collapse

Laura Sa
Laura Sa
Local time: 17:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 14, 2002

Thanks Paula for your advise and assistance. I really appreciate it.

Thanks Henry... Hope to see you on April 20th!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional Development Days for translators in Canada - worth it?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »