Translation in France
Thread poster: neilmac

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2011

A friend has asked me if a self-employed translator comes under the "Regulated Professions" bracket in France, requiring registration with the appropriate organisation (such as the URSSAF or the Chambre des Metiers).

I managed to find a "full list of regulated professions and the process required to register", but as far as I can see, the "Translator" option is not included. Any info on this will be welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:01
Flemish to English
+ ...
French forum. Dec 8, 2011

neilmac wrote:

A friend has asked me if a self-employed translator comes under the "Regulated Professions" bracket in France, requiring registration with the appropriate organisation (such as the URSSAF or the Chambre des Metiers).

I managed to find a "full list of regulated professions and the process required to register", but as far as I can see, the "Translator" option is not included. Any info on this will be welcome.

See French forum. Has been extensively discussed.

Schtroumpf
German to French
+ ...
Question to be clarified Dec 8, 2011

In France, anybody may get established as a translator, regardless of his or her diploma / qualification. Your friend possibly thought about this aspect? Translators have no "Ordre de XY", unlike doctors, lawyers, dentists etc.

But certainly, they must be registered with URSSAF etc. for tax and social matters. This is quite a different aspect.

I suggest that your friend may ask again, why not on Proz and in French, in order to clarify the question. But please, start by having a look at older discussion subject. The question is not a new one and anybody who is fit for becoming a selfemployed translator should be able to get that kind of info straight by himself (imho).

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for helping Dec 9, 2011

Schtroumpf wrote:

In France, anybody may get established as a translator, regardless of his or her diploma / qualification. Your friend possibly thought about this aspect? Translators have no "Ordre de XY", unlike doctors, lawyers, dentists etc.

But certainly, they must be registered with URSSAF etc. for tax and social matters. This is quite a different aspect.

I suggest that your friend may ask again, why not on Proz and in French, in order to clarify the question. But please, start by having a look at older discussion subject. The question is not a new one and anybody who is fit for becoming a selfemployed translator should be able to get that kind of info straight by himself (imho).

OK, thanks for helping out. I really just wanted a yes or no answer, as I've always worked in Spain and there are no similar requisites AFAIK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation in France

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search