New translators: pair-up for support
Thread poster: BethanHasnip

BethanHasnip  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
German to English
Feb 15, 2012

Hi,

I am pursuing freelance translation and thought it would be beneficial to make contact with other people just starting out. As a lot of my time at the moment is spent researching topics and thinking about issues such as software, pricing, getting jobs etc, I thought it would be good to have someone/a few people to discuss these things with. Anyone fancy joining me? Nothing formal, just information exchange and bouncing ideas. I know this is possible via blogs and forums like this but would appreciate something more personal and friendly!

About me: I've done an internship in a translation company and have been really pursuing freelancing for 3 weeks alongside a irregular part-time job, just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I am UK based and my pair is German>English (thought it might be best to chat to someone with a different pair so we're not chasing same jobs!).

Would be great to hear from anyone. Hope this is an acceptable request and I have explained myself sufficiently.

Direct link Reply with quote

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
Spanish to English
support Feb 23, 2012

Hi there.
I am looking at starting out as well.
I language pair is Spanish to English.
I am studying DPSI and specializing in Healthcare.

look forward to hearing from you.
regards

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't get it Feb 24, 2012

How come does your profile show a Blueboard record which has entries as far away as 2006?

Melissa Dedina  Identity Verified
Czech to English
+ ...
BB record Feb 24, 2012

I'm pretty sure that's the company she interned with, Tomás. If the internship is over, it might be best to remove that link to avoid confusion.

mariafossifaure  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
support Mar 31, 2012

Hi,

I am also new in the field, and translate from English and German into Italian.
I hold a MA in Modern Languages and Translation Studies from the University of Rome Sapienza.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers^^

[Modificato alle 2012-03-31 12:59 GMT]

mika_84
Local time: 17:08
English to Russian
+ ...
so am I Mar 31, 2012

is this blog for those translating in any language pairs? then I am russian native speaker translating from English. My area of specialization is Business Adminustration. I wonder, if there any opportunity to join a team of translators, where the beginner might contribute his/her part of job according to his/her level of experience. The alternative way is to work as an assistant to an experienced translator,for example...

Karl Galgana Schimkowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Another junior interpreter/translator Apr 9, 2012

I am also new in the industry, my language pairs: German English, German French. More about me in my profile.

Mybe those of you who are beginners in the field could ask a professional association whether they have a mentorship programm. That could also prove to be useful. By having an experienced translator/interpreter as a mentor, you can get valuable insights.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New translators: pair-up for support

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search