How many SMEs in the UK do business with Europe? Please help! :-?
Thread poster: IngaKri
Apr 20, 2012

Hi everyoneicon_smile.gif

My name is Inga and I am a final year degree student in Business & Management at Bournemouth University. I am currently writing an assignment for one of my modules called "Starting a business" where I (who would have guessed that) have to open my own business (on paper). I am not planning on doing this in real life but having studied Translation and Interpreting in Germany (English, Spanish), the business I chose to open is a small translation business. I am not currently planning to do this in real life, neither do I think that I have the qualification or experience to do so but it is a good exercise and might be helpful later in life.

Now one part of the business plan I have to write is the market research where I need to provide some information about my target market/customers. My lecturer wants me to narrow down my potential market as much as possible. So I had to chose a "customer group" and I decided to provide translations for small and medium sized UK companies.

Having identified my target market as such, I now need to provide numbers of UK based small to medium businesses (the industry the operate in is not relevant) that conduct trade (import and export) with Germany, Spain etc.

I am having a hard time finding relevant data and I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction as to where I can find data or provide me with information how you as a translator would go/have gone on about the topic.

Any help would be much appreciated!
I fully recognize that it is a friday afternoon and that this is a non-business related request, nevertheless, I look forward to hearing from you!

Have a very nice weekend all of you!

Best regards,
Inga

[Edited at 2012-04-21 08:21 GMT]

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:25
Italian to English
To start with Apr 20, 2012

A brief internet search (a vital skill for translators incidentally) reveals that:

one in five UK SMEs are exporting, compared with the European average of one in four. http://blog.ukti.gov.uk/2012/03/29/can-we-double-uk-exports-to-1-trillion-by-2020/

There were an estimated 4.8 million private sector enterprises in the UK at the start of 2009 (the latest statistics) and Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) together accounted for 99.9 per cent of all enterprises.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/%20/http://stats.bis.gov.uk/ed/sme/Stats_Press_Release_2009.pdf

The European Commission statistics show fewer than 1.6 million UK SMEs, but "it should be taken into account that the SME data presented is based on registered SMEs; the UK has the highest VAT threshold in the EU and therefore a large number of SMEs operate below the VAT threshold."
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/sme/facts-figures-analysis/performance-review/files/countries-sheets/2008/uk_en.pdf

I can't quickly find anything on importers but hope this helps to start with.

IngaKri
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 21, 2012

Dear Russell,

Thank you very much for your help. I guess with all the work I must have lost the focus and just looked for the wrong things. I will keep looking but for now this is a good starting point.

Best regards
Inga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many SMEs in the UK do business with Europe? Please help! :-?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search