George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:21
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2012

Hello fellow Prozians,

As part of a move to increase my online presence as a professional translator, I have written a business-related blog of nearly 800 words and I'm trying to decide which blogging website to register it with - I'm willing to pay money to ensure that it will be given a more prominent listing. I've had a look at some of the "paid" sites listed in http://www.directorycritic.com/blog-directory-list.html only to find myself agreeing that my knowledge of online blogs and blogging is a little... deficient. I looked at some of the blogs that they have on record and it seems that much of it is marketing for individual businesses that I've never heard of - are sites like this really valid places to turn to for "thought for the day"-like comments and advice? Or would I be better off exploiting some of the finer facilities of Facebook and / or Twitter and / or LinkedIn? Thank you in advance for comments.

Yours,
George Trail

Direct link Reply with quote

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:21
Chinese to English
Er, you do know what a blog is, right? Apr 29, 2012

And you do know what a link farm is, right? The link in your post is just a link farm. It's an automatically generated list of lists that no serious client will ever look at.

A blog has to be constantly updated with relevant content. If it is, then search engines will find it. If the content is not just updated and relevant but interesting, other people will link to it, and then you'll appear high in search results, and people will find you via Google. SEO (search engine optimisation) can help at the margins, but a good blog will attract links and attention. SEO is secondary to producing good content.

When you're starting out, using one of the free services like blogspot, wordpress, etc. is fine. I use the hideous livejournal because the other often get nobbled by the Great Firewall. buxiebuxing.livejournal.com

Good luck!

PS. I would avoid the word "loquacious" in any marketing materials about yourself. It's not a word that makes people feel good.

Maria Stella Translator (BR-PT)
Brazil
Local time: 11:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The content is more important! Apr 30, 2012

Hello George

I have been a blog writer for about one year now, publishing my texts in my native Language. One thing I can tell you is that the content is more important than anything, I use Blogspot.com ... from my Google account and it works for me, so far. What people look for when they read a blog, specially, is good and reliable information, texts, opinions, etc. The readers come in time, as you feed it with interesting content.

I suggest you try one free blogging website fist!

Nice blogging to you!!! XD

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
High internet presence cuts both ways Apr 30, 2012

You would do well to remember the permanence of any content on the internet associated with your name. This is all the more important because the writing skills that you are showcasing in your blog are part and parcel of the work you do. Thus, if what you write is intelligent and interesting, this may help you attract potential clients. However, producing sentences that betray an ignorance of the basic rules of the English language, and that leave readers wondering what you are talking about, will do nothing to help you market your services.

[Edited at 2012-04-30 08:02 GMT]

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:21
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 30, 2012

Thank you for these responses, everyone.

Mundabla
United States
Local time: 05:21
Getting Started with Blogging and Networking Apr 30, 2012

This is a great idea to start writing on a blog. This will be great for the longterm in building credibility and helping you network online.

However, it is not a overnight fix, you will need to be committed. I would recommend using blogspot by google or wordpress.com. Both great platforms and easy to use.

I wrote a post blogging for the language professional here if you are interested in ideas for content- http://blog.mundabla.com/blogging-for-the-language-business-to-generat

Also, if you're just getting started I would highly recommend finding some hubs to get involved with online. Proz is a great start as well as LinkedIn and Twitter.

Some ideas for drumming up some business here as well
http://blog.mundabla.com/27-ideas-to-get-more-translation-and-interpre

Hope this helps

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blogs and online marketing presence

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search