How to become a sworn translator (USA)
Thread poster: AniaP936

AniaP936
Local time: 12:37
Polish to English
+ ...
May 16, 2012

Hello,

I have recently passed the qualifying test for NYS court interpreters. I have also successfully passed the written test for court interpreters in NJ. My experience consists of medical/ legal interpretation work as well as general translation work. I am wondering what other credentials (if any) I would still need to obtain to be qualified / certified to provide sworn translation of legal and other official documents? Also, how does one find this type of work AND and what is the average rate for Polish-English sworn translation work?

I would be grateful for any information.

Ania

The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Thank God there's no such thing in this country May 16, 2012

Anyone can translate any document, certify that the translation is accurate blah blah and have his or her signature notarized on it. That's it. Personally, that's the way I like it.

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are right May 16, 2012

The Misha wrote:

Anyone can translate any document, certify that the translation is accurate blah blah and have his or her signature notarized on it. That's it. Personally, that's the way I like it.

Many translators are confused and they attended training and got various certificates but only to find these certificates are not really needed.

AniaP936
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Misha May 16, 2012

So it looks like I may be all set. From my perspective it's great, but I am a little concerned for all those needing "official interpretation" and running a high risk of getting much less than quality translation service...provided almost anyone can do this work. Thanks.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Look into the EN>PL ATA exam May 16, 2012

That's about the closest you can get in the US to a certificate of your written translation ability.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not necessary/available May 17, 2012

As I understand it, a sworn translation credential is not required in the U.S. You merely write some phrase to this effect:

I, the undersigned, x, hereby certify that I am a professional [Polish-to-English] translator and that the foregoing [document] is a true and faithful translation of the [Polish] language original.
Then, you type in Date: Signature:

After that you might have to get your document notarized.

There are only a handful of states (including California) that have some sort of sworn translation credential. But even so, a proven professional does not need to have that.

So, as Mischa says in his above post, thank God the U.S. doesn't have a sworn translation requirement. Here in Spain it makes life difficult, and someone gets their cut for useless extra steps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to become a sworn translator (USA)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search